Good News! The worlds most popular van gets.

Page 1 / 2
johotech, Apr 20, 7:04am
A 6 speed auto, but only on the petrol version.
And, an adjustable passengers seat!

Plus ESC and HSA.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/342381/toyota-hiace-gets-a-range-of-updates/

brapbrap8, Apr 20, 7:12am
Australias most popular van, the Hiace we get in this part of the world isn't even sold in other parts of the world due to its rubbish safety and driving.
The Hiace rates worst in the same websites test of all the main vans.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/291602/van-comparison-toyota-hiace-v-hyundai-iload-v-ford-transit-custom-v-renault-trafic-v-fiat-scudo-v-mercedes-benz-vito-v-volkswagen-transporter/

henderson_guy, Apr 20, 8:23am
Rubbish safety? It has a 4 star ANCAP. Interestingly, the Fiat only has a 3 star, and the Renault is 2.

stevo2, Apr 20, 8:31am
The perceived lack of safety, the uncomfortable ride and most importantly the lack of an adjustable passengers seat were the main reasons I bought the iLoad instead of another Hiace. I am well pleased with my decision.

tamarillo, Apr 20, 9:40am
To best of my understanding it can't pass euro frontal impact tests, and Europeans won't buy van like this anyway. All their vans have full bonnet and airbags everywhere. Don't understand how it passes aussie test. it's an ancient design. Tough though.

moby, Apr 20, 10:21am
I like my Hiaces (I must, I've had 3 of them), but it's high time they joined the 21st century feature-wise. It would be nice if they had better traction than a hovercraft when unladen as well.

morrisjvan, Apr 20, 10:39am
you guys are a bit soft, I had a 1957 morris j van which until a couple of years ago I drove daily.
I'll list all the safety features for you.

1.seat belt ( just the one, and that was aftermarket!)

all done.

tamarillo, Apr 20, 10:42am
Sure you're not typing from the afterlife?

sr2, Apr 20, 10:48am
I've had a number of Hiaces and still have a huge soft spot for them. My favourite was an old clapped out and rusty high mileage 2.4 diesel I bought 20 years ago with no money, a pregnant wife, a new business venture and mortgage I couldn't afford! That old van worked 50+ hours a week and in the weekend towed the boat, the dirt bikes, was the Targa car service vehicle and even dragged my band up and down the country on tour; it never let me down or missed a beat.

I joined the Euro common rail diesel crowd about 7 years ago and have never looked back. Take one for a good drive, have a talk to the people who own them and you'll see what I mean.

(Good to see you back stirring things up again Jazz mate).

johotech, Apr 20, 11:24am
That just makes them more interesting.

sr2, Apr 20, 12:26pm
LOL, tell me about it!
I have to say I never thought I'd hear myself saying it but for traction and towing you can't beat a modern front wheel drive van. (Oh how the world has changed!).

3tomany, Apr 20, 10:27pm
hiace is nowhere near being the top selling van in the world

3tomany, Apr 20, 11:06pm

morrisjvan, Apr 21, 8:11am
No , I managed to beat the odds !

johotech, Apr 22, 5:20am
Ah, yes, sorry. I forgot about the Ford Transit!

So it's the second most popular in the world then.

3tomany, Apr 22, 5:36am
no it is not transit either it is a van from GM believe it or not, I will give you a virtual chocolate fish if you can answer without google

johotech, Apr 22, 5:51am
Hmmm, not sure about that one. AFAIK, the Transit has been the most popular van in the US since it's release.

And I said most popular, which I would mean total units produced. Not "top selling", which is what you said.

Hiace is over 6M units since production started. Transit is over 7M.

Interestingly, the Hiace is the 4th highest in total production numbers for Toyota. Corolla is the highest at 25M. Have a guess what the other two models between 6M and 25M are?

3tomany, Apr 22, 5:52am

3tomany, Apr 22, 5:57am
not sure of total built ever crikey F150 is not far behind corolla and the beetle is there somewhere, so that is my best without google

kazbanz, Apr 22, 6:53am
actually all kidding aside I wonder exactly how vans do stack up worldwide sales wise? say the top 15 selling vans world wide.

johotech, Apr 22, 6:56am
Actually I was referring to Toyota only, total numbers ever built.

1. Corolla 25M+
2. ?
3. ?
4. Hiace 6M+

johotech, Apr 22, 6:59am
Depends if you're looking at total numbers ever built, or number sold per year, for any particular year.

A lot of the info I looked at, only refers to 2012 data. So not sure if there is much more up to date data.

I'll provide the first bit of 2012 data.
Hiace 179,363 units built.

seadubya, Apr 22, 7:03am
Landcruiser and hilux?

3tomany, Apr 22, 7:04am
I wont use google but will have to use my doctor spock ears to find another two of the worlds most boring vehicles. How about hilux then camry

johotech, Apr 22, 7:11am
Yep, that's correct.

Landcruiser - probably around 8M units now, since 1951.
Hilux - over 11M since 1967

Interestingly, the Landcruiser was 420,000 units in 2012, but the Prius was over 600,000!