Best tradie van out there for sub $20K

_peas, Dec 24, 2:59am
Looking at Hiaces (like everyone else!) Have been told that the petrols while higher running costs are more reliable than the Turbo D's and D4-D's. Plenty of 2.0L out there but I would assume that they would be pretty gutless with a load of gear in the back? Anyone had experience good bad with the petrols? Not set on Hiace. Other reliable vans about that will put up with being run into the ground by a builder? Not into high roof things that will cause issues getting into parking buildings or massive vans that parking in town will be a hassle.

toyboy3, Dec 24, 3:16am
I have driven a 2 litre hiace auto with a generous load both ways Auckland to Rotorua and back, 480 kilometres = 48 litres petrol of course it needs to be in 3rd and foot down to get over the bombays and keep with traffic

_peas, Dec 24, 3:40am
That's better than I thought. I would assume that towing would be a mission though? The cost of them, esp the diesels, compared to the km's covered is pretty ridiculous.

muzz67, Dec 24, 4:45am
Had Toyota vehicles all my life,so far.
Least comfy one was the newish Hiace, horrid driving position, un-adjustable passengers seats which leave knees pressed against dash, sharp edged centre console and drivers armrest, list goes on.
looking at I Load.

stevo2, Dec 24, 7:42am
What he said^^^
Had a few Hiaces, the new shape diesel gets along well but is uncomfortable. I achieved about 9.5 to 10 lt/100km.
I know a few tradies running the petrol Hiaces, they all moan about the 2lt being gutless and thirsty and the NZ new 2.7lt being extremely thirsty in day to day use.
The D4D hiaces aren't giving any problems at all, they use the same engine as the Hilux but in de-tuned form and aren't giving the same issues that the Hilux have.
I sold my last one at 160,000km and hadn't spent a penny on repairs. Routine servicing only.
I know the buyer and its now at 190,000km and needed a new part in the alternator.
I bought a new iLoad 2.5 diesel 6 spd manual and the difference is like chalk and cheese.
It is quiet and comfortable, way quicker than the Hiace and I'm getting between 8.0 to 8.5 lt/100km with the same 700kg in the back and similar driving styles.
Its safer and is brilliant on the open road.
I've done 42000km now and I'm loving it.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/428892559.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/428891769.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/428892288.jpg
The Hiace could still be a serious contender if all your running around is in the city center as they are more maneuverable and compact for parking.
Hope this helps - from the owner of both.

fordcrzy, Dec 24, 8:04am
our company is in the process of offloading a heap of 2010 ish Nissan Urvans (NZ New) they have been great reliable vehicles , most have 170-200,000 kms on them and not a problem with them. we now run iloads. and as above the difference is night and day the urvans are "hello 1992" whereas the Iload is MUCH MUCH MUCH nicer to drive. we run solid/sealed cargo barriers so the cab is car like in its quietness

3tomany, Dec 24, 8:11am
Honestly go get a new one, the prices of worn out vans is eye watering, i would be buying a transit. Worth a quote it might be more affordable than you think.

_peas, Dec 24, 8:13am
How do the Hyundais go with a few km under their belt? Anyone got one with over a couple hundred on the clock? Any major issues. turbo, injectors etc?

3tomany, Dec 24, 8:15am
Get a quote on toyota and nissan while you are at it they are nowhere near as good as transit but proven reliable and awesome resale.

fordcrzy, Dec 24, 9:46am
the transit and Iload are sooo much better than the urvan and hiace. ive found that I'm much more relaxed while driving and after a 2 hour drive to a job i actually feel like working and not taking a nap like i did in the urvan which was tiring to drive long distances. second hand van prices seem a bit steep TBH

ryanm2, Dec 24, 6:19pm
im now driving a brand new 2015 Turbo Hiace, the cab is uncomfortable, Im actually getting a crook back from my daily commute which is only about 20 mins. The position of the L300 was much better. Its great on fuel though, 600km plus from a tank.

stevo2, May 5, 5:14pm
And the drivers seat was always the best seat in the Hiace up until 2015 as the passengers seat had no back and forth adjustment. It took until 2014 before Toyota put it on rails and gave it some adjustment.
Mrs Stevo always had to sit with her knees against the glove box, hence part of the reason I changed camps and went for the iLoad.
I had an L300 4WD some years back and it was a very lightly built vehicle that is really not in the same class as the others.