2004 Ford Courier Aircon

budgel, Dec 6, 4:04am
About this time last year I had my aircon checked and the gas topped up, and it was working well.
With the start of this season's warm weather I have found that the aircon is not working. The idle revs drop when I turn on the aircon switch, so the clutch is engaging, just not delivering cold air.
I'm thinking it is gas loss. I cant see any sign of damage, so am thinking that it is pump seals. Is it possible for an owner to get an accurate diagnosis themselves? What would be involved in getting a seal repair? Can this be done by removing the pump and sending it away and then getting it recharged once refitted?

intrade, Dec 6, 10:18pm
i have aircon on my learning list also.
few things you have to know the problem first, not jump to conclusions like with anything diagnostic.
The clutch only turns on if the low pressure switch lets it ,
opening up the system in any way shape or form lets moisture in there and its not easy to remove moisture dryer and all need to be changed if its opened up or is fully empty and atmospheric pressure makes it in to the system via the leakage .
I have not found a good professional place as i know there is probably as much morons out there as when fixing normal stuff on cars with electronic problems.
So i need to learn it all fully even if i never own the equipment needed to do the work , it basically is what one has to do to find out if you talk to a moron whom is about to attack your car or not.

intrade, Dec 6, 10:27pm
may i ask whom you had taken it to to regas the system?

intrade, Dec 6, 10:30pm
also whatch this video it is about morons correct doings on general aircon
i have simple green here since i found his video lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFOAhE2BcVs

budgel, Dec 7, 1:07am
I took it to the local auto electrical who is the only one available to do it up here.

intrade, Dec 7, 1:24am
did you whatch the video ? its fully comperahensive and answers all your questions .
after you whatched it let me know i am a bit further with what you can do for testing if infact it needs looking at if it lost refrigerant or not
but i want you to whatch that video first so we are on the same page.

budgel, Dec 7, 4:39am
That video is hard going, and is about architectural air conditioning, not automotive, but I'll struggle through it. Just give me some time.

intrade, Dec 7, 4:50am
its the same thing in the end just that you dont get zapped from car aircons some home aircons also use r134.a A guy askes about automotive he said same thing refrigeration is refrigeration same basic principle of operation.

bigfatmat1, Dec 7, 5:36am
Probably best to take it back to place and get the pressures checked. If it's low on gas again they should be able to stick a dye in it to findd the leak. Nothing you can do at home without the correct gear.

intrade, Dec 7, 6:42am
he can find out if it is most likely low on gas and if it is then these guys would be the last place to take it again.

intrade, Dec 23, 9:33pm
bump did you finish that video?
any questions or is it already clear enough?

intrade, Dec 23, 9:53pm
i just mailed mr olivas from the video above as he stated in one video he was not kidding about the 300$ flashlight. He teaches at los-angeles trade technical scool. i alread told you it is the same thing in automotive and here is what he wrote . as i wrote him a quick introduction why i own his videos and why i want to know the brand and make of this 300$ flash-light.
here is his answer
about hvac its why i told you to whatch that video i already did know so

mail reply below from mr olivas argo-contractor teacher at la-trade-tech.-->

The basic fundamentals in an auto air conditioning these are similar to the HVAC in a home the difference is once tried by a belt the other uses electricity good luck in your trainin

intrade, Dec 23, 9:59pm
now to the 300$ flash light because you need to look arround
there is no such thing as a rush. these 2 things i do wrong sometimes also but mr olivas is correct one needs a cup of coffee and think about things that one observed for what the next moove should be.
flash light link is below
http://www.surefire.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=model+847705

intrade, Dec 31, 12:14am
bump again for datoofairy and others

elect70, Dec 31, 3:03am
If its very low on gas a pressure sensor cuts the compressor out . it may be a stuck expansion valve on the evaporator& only by connecting pressure gauges on the unit can it be verified . If it was losing that much gas should also see oil leak .

budgel, Dec 31, 5:45am
I have had a family bereavement, so havent done anything about this.
I will probably get onto it next week.
A black vehicle without aircon is no fun at this time of year!

intrade, Apr 9, 5:22pm
chopper with monsoon bucket just flew over my place apperaantly tutukaka is on fire