Rear window blinds

dublo, Jul 27, 1:17am
My first car, a 1937 Morris Eight, had a (standard fitting) roller blind in the rear window, operated by a sliding control above the driver's door and a length of string. Simple and effective!
Does anyone manufacture a modern version? Our 1970s Triumphs 2000s are low and have large rear windows. I am sick of being blinded by following vehicles (especially 4wds) and I can feel the heat on the back of my neck when they are close behind. It doesn't help when so many vehicles have badly adjusted headlamps - how do they pass their WoF tests? - or leave them on high beam when following.

seadubya, Jul 27, 1:43am
Could a lever/string be fitted to something like this? http://www.autosunshades.net/our-product/manual-auto-sunshades.html Or could you retrofit an electric rear blind? Surely there are some in the wreckers by now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZPenNYh9hE (25 second video)

kazbanz, Jul 27, 2:02am
dublo--my car has an electric blind

ozz1, Jul 27, 2:04am
I either fiddle with interior mirror. In aussie i had a hand mirror. that worked a treat. till one night mr plod was behind me .
:(

dublo, Jul 27, 8:46am
seadubya, thank you, the sunshade idea sounds good - I hadn't thought of that - and would probably stop some of the glare.
Ozz1, I can neither conform nor deny that my passenger side sunvisor (the one with the mirror in it) occasionally drops down to the vertical position and accidently reflects the light from other vehicle's headlamps back in the drivers' faces.

sr2, Jul 27, 9:11am
Many 90's E series Mercs had electric rear window blinds. I'd look at fitting one of them?

2sheddies, Jul 27, 9:22am
I remember seeing many older cars, such as EH Holdangs and similar, with a venetian blind on the rear window. That would work well, and it looked nice, though goodness knows if or where you could find one now. Doubtful that normal house types would be suitable.

whqqsh, Jul 27, 8:51pm
Ive never liked the external louvres that were all the rage but have had (& do still have a set for a VN Commodore) internal venetians. Surprising how much you can still see out but can see bugger all looking in

kazbanz, Jul 27, 9:22pm
So do several high end Toyotas from the early 2000's

robotnik, Jul 27, 10:01pm
I had a 1975 Datsun 120Y made for the Australian market that came with internal venetian blind style lourves. They were inside the rear screen so not big obvious outside ones like on a Falcon 500 or some such, and looked like tilted open venetian blinds. They were fixed in position. Good for keeping out the Outback sun.

These were factory fitted, but perhaps you could do similar with some actual venetian blinds.

richardmayes, Jul 27, 10:07pm
I used to drive a 2.5PI Triumph a lot at night in Auckland and the Waikato.

I found the easiest way to avoid headlight glare from following vehicles, is to drive a bit faster than everybody else, so that there are no following vehicles.

afer_daily, Jul 27, 10:12pm
or one could fit that mirror tinting then they would blind themselves

dublo, Jul 28, 2:52am
Good idea Richard, but they catch up to you at traffic lights!

floscey, Jul 28, 3:02am
pull over a bit.

richardmayes, Jul 28, 3:08am
Or make a corner reflector out of mirror glass on a wooden box base, and "leave it" on your parcel shelf.

[The beauty about a corner reflector is that you don't need to aim it; it always beams everything directly back the same direction it came from. provided you have made it dead square!]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corner_reflector

trogedon, Jul 28, 3:37am
I never like the look of external louvres (apart from on an Italian supercar from the early 70s. ) but then I had a car with them on and they worked well. but still looked ugly.

dublo, Jul 28, 5:05am
Ha ha, the corner reflector idea looks good (and evil!)

gman35, Dec 17, 4:26pm
One reason I don't like Sedans (Sun on neck).
(That and being so unpractical compared to a 5dr / Wagon).