Is my engine burning oil? Plugs look clean!

Page 2 / 2
esky-tastic, Aug 12, 4:59am
Just remember to wind the motor back the other way when you want to get the rope out! And use a clean piece of nylon rope - don't use some grimey oil-soaked piece of hemp rope you found on the road - your motor won't appreciate all the little bits of grip getting forced into it.

nzoomed, Aug 12, 9:20am
yes that could work, only problem is how do i compress the spring to remove the collets?

ntalke, Aug 12, 9:28am
Valve spring compresser as per normal

like the rope idea

bwg11, Aug 12, 9:43am
Firstly, put a suitable diameter tube over the valve cap and give it alight tap with a hammer to break free or unstick the collets, Then improvise a tool to lever under the rocker shaft to depress the valve cap and remove the collets. Lift off the valve cap, the valve spring(s) and replace the seals or "O" rings,

nzoomed, Aug 12, 10:28am
Cant use a compressor if the head is bolted to the engine, would have to fashion up some sort of tool as #29 has mentioned.

franc123, Aug 12, 11:05am
The correct method is to use a proper overhead valve compressor that simply clamps to the spring and keeper and compresses them together and takes the tension off the spring so the collets can be pulled out, after of course filling the cylinder with compressed air via a fitting made out of an old hollowed out spark plug or else rope as described. Doing anything else is a recipe for damage, valve parts being pinged all over the place or even injury.

ntalke, Aug 12, 6:34pm
Thought about it and yep the standard type cant be used but there are others

There is a special one for XR6 t's for changing valve springs without taking the head off

http://www.dragtimes.com/video-viewer.php?v=vC-SBEGD27E&feature

nzoomed, Aug 13, 7:35am
OK, ill look out for one, either way the motor is running sweet, will wait and see if it gets worse.

bwg11, Oct 12, 5:34pm
You are absolutely correct. Ever seen a collet go down a pushrod hole? My "improvise a tool" certainly didn't mean "lever with 2 screwdrivers", but improvise and make a tool. I made one for BMC "A" series years ago which used to lever from the rocker shaft. Early 1275 S's used to break inner valve springs, and were much easier to change "in-situ". Turned out the breakages were caused by a resonance and was cured by a different wire diameter and number of coils.