What van to buy under $5k

rosehonda, Mar 18, 10:18am
So I am toying the idea of buying a van. I have said $5k value cap as a guideline. I know nothing about vans whatsoever. It might be that a $4k van would get me something 20 times better than a $1500 van, I have no clue. Because I would honestly be happy with a $1500 one.

1. Mostly used for an around town daily driver. Out of town trips will not be frequent but it must be capable.
2. Am looking for a cargo style van. e.g no rear seats or only 1 bench of rear seats. Are you allowed to simply just take he rest out? Do some vans come without them to begin with.
2. I am reasonably mechanically inclined if any work needs doing and am good with maintenance. At the same time a reliable runner would be nice, would rather not spend my days off scraping my knuckles
3. How do petrol and diesel differ, which is better?
4. I prefer manual trans cars because of their simplicity. Looking for manual trans van, unless there is some reason I shouldn't?

intrade, Mar 18, 6:49pm
townace noah 4 cilinder petrol

kazbanz, Mar 18, 6:59pm
Good luck.--Ive been looking for a half decent van for months. Not over doing it mind you.

robotnik, Mar 18, 7:24pm
Mitsubishi Delica L300. Apart from not being very safe in a head on crash they are a good dependable vehicle.

andy61, Mar 18, 7:40pm
You are joking , weak gearboxes, head crackers and oil burners, They are heaps of shit.

tamarillo, Mar 18, 7:52pm
If it is round town short trips petrol can be better deal, with less serving costs and no turbo too.
And they seem to be cheaper than diesel ones.

robotnik, Mar 18, 10:55pm
Those are would be mostly diesel versions I guess? We have one at work with a 2.0L 4363 petrol engine that has done 388K without a rebuild or anything. It doesn't burn any more oil than is normal for a Mitsubishi - about 500mls every 2000kms or so.

godimento, Mar 19, 5:27am
What are the Toyota hiace like. Not sure on difference between hiace and town ace but like the look of some hiace's I see with the side doors

toy_turbo, Apr 24, 4:10am
A Hiace is bigger than a Townace. We just bought a Hiace, going to sell our trusty Townace in a couple weeks, it'll be around $2k :-D