Engine light comes on - Holden Vectra

moose4me, Jan 29, 2:03am
We have a Holden Vectra year 2000 and you can be motoring along smoothly then for no apparant reason the engine will hiccup/jerk/pause/faulter slightly which causes the engine light to come on and stay on until you switch off the engine. In a bad case the TC (tracton control) light also comes on. We have had new timing belt water pump, leads and sparks all replaced. Any suggestion to what it might be would be appreciated. THANK YOU

franc123, Jan 29, 2:10am
You are going to have to find out what fault codes are being logged, anything else is guesswork at this point. This has only happened since the belt work was done? Could be any one of a number of things being a Vectra.

moose4me, Jan 29, 2:20am
Yes only since belt work , but belt work was done a year ago and this has only just started happening. Would an auto electrician be a good starting point?

intrade, Jan 29, 4:14am
well if it is the same engine as on 2003 then the cam and crank sensor is a dual sensor under the cover of the cambelt, inspection of the wiring is what you need to do . the one i replaced had a small visible crack and crumbled apart when i moved the wire showing bear wires and corrosion. 180$ for new sennsor from holden maukau they tryed to fob me off till i said you people sold this car since then they have any part for it before they said there was no parts for it and it be so mutch different models of this car.

intrade, Jan 29, 4:17am
good starting point= serial code reade out and wiring inspection. be awear you cant drive it when it shorts these wires and if it has enough shorts it will possibly fry the driver in the engine computer.

intrade, Jan 29, 4:29am
go to supercheap and get a full printout of the faults of both global obd and opel-oem codes for 28$ and upload the info to iforce image host so we can have a look.
freeze frame data is also a must have for the 28$ they got kts bosch so its fully oem capable for a opel-holdon
http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/vehicle-diagnostics/home.aspx#stores

Store Address
Riccarton394 Blenheim Road, Riccarton

hi-ling, Jan 29, 6:28am
What engine is in the Vectra?

treachug, Jan 29, 6:57am
Being a year 2000 it should be a C20sel or even a C22sel. Either way sounds like cam sensor starting to fail. could go for a long time yet or die pretty soon.

treachug, Jan 29, 7:04am
Ayyy? Its a year 2000, so will be a 'B' series Vectra with a cambelt driven 2.0L or 2.2L with separate cam & crank sensors. The 2003 Vectra you had was sure to be a ZC series & would've been a chain driven 2.2L. Totally different engines.
As for the comment re no parts, that's bollocks. sure the ZC series wasn't overly popular saleswise but parts supply is/was still available.

hi-ling, Jan 29, 7:15am
Yeah I quessed as much. Okay these have siamesed wasted spark coils where the coil fires 2 cyls at once. if the coil starts playing up it will drop 2 cyls intermittantly and cause your shuddering. The plug leads also tend to breakdown in the area where they go into the head. As Intrade says get it scanned and if it shows up as missfire on any cyls, Id start replacing the leads, then coil. I have a spare coil here you can try out

moose4me, Jan 29, 7:28am
Yes it is a 2.2L EcoTech and definatley a cambelt not chain. Hey Thanks for your advice I will get my mechanic to check out the cam and crank sensor and go from there. Thanks again for all your help !

hi-ling, Jan 29, 7:36am
Its not likely to be a cam sensor. they throw up a fault code but wont cause it to surge etc. My bet is Ignition coil or leads. Ive worked on shitloads of those things and have a pretty good understanding of there faults. DONT buy parts from Holden, it'll cost you an arm and a leg

moose4me, Jan 29, 7:39am
You say leads ? I have just put a new set in today and sparks plugs as well and its made no different.

moose4me, Jan 29, 7:42am
Are spark coil and ignition coil the same thing? , sorry but its a female sorting out this car problem

franc123, Jan 29, 7:46am
Just get it scanned, like I said way back in post 2 anything else is guessing at this point. There will be fault codes logged even if they are now history codes.

moose4me, Jan 30, 12:16am
Went to Super Cheap did the test and results showed up as crankshaft position sensor fault. Thanks guys for your help on the right track now mechanic is sorting this for me now. Cheers

intrade, Jan 30, 12:44am
anything else showing did they do both global obd and oem codes?

intrade, Jul 16, 4:55pm
the one i replaced was this on the camshaft the wiring had bio-degraded right where it goes in to the camshaft sensor.
http://www.vauxhall-car-parts.co.uk/acatalog/VAUXHALL-CAMSHAFT-SENSOR---10456585N.html if you got that engine then they better inspect the camshaft sensor also. as sometimes cam and crank codes get confused as to what code it will set. http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt318/largepants72/ScreenHunter_098.jpg
i dont know what engine you have that is the engine with cambelt as anyone can clearly see where i needed a new sensor before it became a problem.