Suzuki Swift

Page 1 / 2
jessie01, Jul 20, 2:06am
is 200 ks high in one of these cars

mugenb20b, Jul 20, 2:20am
Depends on the purchase price and how it was driven and serviced.

kazbanz, Jul 20, 2:25am
Easier to paraphrase mugen. A car can be a rolling wreck at 80000km or could still be good to go at 800000km it depends on how its been treated. Only way to know is get a full PP inspection done

thejazzpianoma, Jul 20, 2:39am
Unless it's nearly free it's unlikely to be a good buy at those km's. That aside, the Swift is grossly over rated in this country, the standard auto ones are horrible compared to what else is available. They also seem to be built to pass the crash test as opposed to actually being built to be good in a crash, making them one of the least safe vehicles of their era.

Unfortunately it can be very easy to confuse "popular" with "good/best" that's how our brains are wired sadly.

You could do a LOT better if you open your mind and horizons to what else is available.

melonhead1, Jul 20, 2:46am
Cars aren't what they were ~15-20 years ago when quality peaked so I'd say yes, it is high.

family007, Jul 20, 2:47am
200000 is on the high end of things, like others have said it depend on the model and year.

jmma, Jul 20, 3:08am
It may be a 15 - 20 year old Swift, OP needs to come back with a few more details, 2k not high for a Jappa (o:
Seems someone just can't help themselves, need more facts before you badmouth them.

berg, Jul 20, 3:10am
Traded mine at 165,000km and it was still as tight and trouble free as it was when new. Never used any oil between oil changes, still got 6.4ltrs per 100km (1600 Sport driven reasonably hard) and the interior, hinges, paint, etc had all stood up without any issue. Only reason we parted with it was to buy a bigger Suzuki (Kazashi). Would have another one without question

tgray, Jul 20, 4:03am
Can you please name what other car IS likely to be any good at those Km's then?
Personally I would rather a Swift or similar, than a Fiat or the like, especially when you are looking at these kind of K's.
Yes, there are 'better' cars out there, but the Swift is a safer bet than most.
OP, to answer your question, yes 200,000 k is higher than average, but doesn't mean it's a dog.
What year are you looking at? Post 2005?

berg, Jul 20, 4:06am
But but but, he's owned several Suzukis and done over 200,000km with them so he knows exactly what he's talking about! Anybody for a Sunday Tui?

cagivachick1, Jul 20, 4:10am
i would rather have anything from japan with those ks than a vw with the same ks

franc123, Jul 20, 4:13am
I would rather have anything from Japan with those ks than a vw with half the ks.

berg, Jul 20, 4:17am
We have had 5 Suzuki cars (Swifts, Vitaras and a Kazashi) and the only thing that has gone wrong with any of them was spark leads on the 1600 Vitara and a cracked exhaust manifold on the other Vitara. They have just been bulletproof for us which is why we keep buying them. Usually keep them to between 150,000 and 200,000km depending on when we choose to upgrade. Add about 5 or 6 Suzuki bikes which have also been reliable. Yes, I service them regularly (6000km on the bikes and 15000km on the cars) but it has always just been standard maintanace.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 20, 4:20am
It's not about "good at those km's" it's about best value for money at that price point and lowest total cost of ownership
People seem to want 5 - 7K for a standard circa 2005 Swift with 200'000km on the clock. That's the horrible mongrel 4 speed auto one that collapses in a crash.

For the same or less money you can have a 2007ish Grande Punto with less than half the km's, proper 5 Star NCAP, fully galvanised so no rust, 5 speed dualogic transmission which gives better power and economy, far more boot space, nicer ride, nicer handling, more power, lower fuel consumption lower maintenance.

All that stands in peoples way is silly wives tales and herd mentality. Funny thing is, Suzuki actually buy their Diesels for the Swift from Fiat (same as used in the Punto in question) because they don't have the expertise and budget to build their own.

Not having a go at anyone or anything here. Just pointing out a far more logical/sensible option. People can make up excuses for the Suzuki and try to bad mouth the Fiat till the cows come home. Either people take the time to understand the mechanics and economics of the situation and buy the better car, or not. Doesn't bother me either way.

poppajn, Jul 20, 4:27am
Come to Southland Jazz, you will pay at least $10,000 for a Swift with those k's from a dealer and they do sell quickly, a very popular car down here

thejazzpianoma, Jul 20, 4:30am
I have noticed some obscene pricing on vehicles from certain dealers in Christchurch too.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 20, 4:37am
Anyhow, the OP may not even be buying one for all we know. It may only be a question about an existing vehicle. If it's a mid 2000's one and they are wondering whether to ditch it, I would personally cash it in in a flash given they can likely trade up to lower km's and a better car for no extra cash.

cagivachick1, Jul 20, 4:39am
going from a Swift to any VW would be a backward step wouldnt it, be better off with a Lada

curlcrown, Jul 20, 4:42am
I can no longer bite my tongue, what you say is almost criminal, trying to tuck people into the worst heaps of poo in this country.

gedo1, Jul 20, 4:51am
I wonder why things like the Fiat are so much cheaper than variously equivalent other vehicles - such as the Swift in the comparison given by Jazz. Punto 80 odd k/m Swift 199 odd km. Why is that. surely it would be the other way around? From my own observations and the anecdotal comments of so many others it would seem, Jazz, that you have been the lucky one whose choices have so few problems. If you have a memory of what we have given as our own experiences you would recall that we would never, ever touch a Golf again. Pity. they start out nice.

bigsteve10, Jul 20, 4:55am
Might pay to do some homework on the Jappa comment.

Swifts are built in India

jmma, Jul 20, 5:07am
Uuum talking of homework, you could do some, India build the 4 dr sedan for their market, oh and they fit the Fait diesel.
They are also built in Malaysia, Hungary you get the drift (o:

pandai, Jul 20, 5:07am
Actually the current model is built in Japan, Hungary, India, Thailand and Malaysia. I wouldn't be surprised if the NZ ones are Thai.

skull, Jul 20, 5:08am
Are you certain of that? Mine was built in Japan

franken1, Jul 20, 5:10am
Funnily enough the Fiat Punto is also made in India.