Low Maintenance Car Batteries.

gazzat22, Apr 23, 4:47am
Bought one 18 months ago but car(hers) doesnt get much use .Probably a silly question but is it ok to put a charger on a low/no maintenance battery.Dont want to blow it up as no vents. Have charged lots of normal batteries but this is the !st of this type Cheers.PS it still starts the car but if ever it doesnt it,ll be all my fault !

pandai, Apr 23, 4:54am
Smart maintenance charger on it should be fine. Just don't overcharge it, too hard replacing water in those when it evaporates.

skull, Apr 23, 5:52am
I have a small cheap low current charger on a timer hooked up to the Honda, it runs 2 hours a day every day. http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online-store/products/SCA-Smart-Battery-Charger-3-Stage-12-Volt-1-6-Amp.aspx?pid=343260#Recommendations

kazbanz, Apr 23, 6:10am
read what it says on the battery.You might need a multi battery type charger.
Mind you a cheaper option might be one of those tiny little jump starters

johotech, Apr 23, 6:17am
But you're not suggesting they let it go flat for long periods right?

kazbanz, Apr 23, 6:20am
Nope but its there as a get out of jail card.

jason_247, Apr 23, 8:06am
they do have a vent. they are valved with a vent tube coming out each end.
as long as its a charger with a float mode it would be perfect.

2sheddies, Apr 23, 8:11am
I assume you're referring to those small ones that plug into the 12v lighter socket? They're pretty good, but I gotta say the best money we ever spent was buying one of those jump start portable power pack things. Has saved me no end the hassles of normal jump starting and paid for itself many times over starting friends/neighbours cars also. Brilliant invention!

kazbanz, Apr 23, 7:50pm
nope 2 sheddies- they are full on "normal" jump starters used the same way as normal. But they are tiny.
They have really high crank to start cars.

gazzat22, Feb 27, 11:03am
Thank sall Rang the place i bought the battery from ,said my charger should be ok with lead acid or gel or whatever .Seems to be OK but i,ve learnt anticipation and being prepared is half the battle.I,ve got a jump starter also but will look at one of those Trickle chargers and one of those glovebox ones .Her indoors would be able to use one of them as modern batteries seem to just"die" at any time unlike the old ones Cheers