Poor oil maintenance, Driven's Article

exwesty, Aug 10, 12:54am
http://www.driven.co.nz/advice/car-care/laziness-over-oil-ends-in-tears/?ref=NZHNetwork

What's the best way to remove sludge and possibly clear blocked channels and galleries?

intrade, Aug 10, 12:58am
depends on the engine you got to be carfull with what you ask. if you use these desludge things then the engine sump and oil pickup need often removal after and flushing.
so depends on engine if its a old toyota for example you do nothing but correct oil and filter changes and let the caked on cabon be. same for mitsubishis and there like.
the carbon is often what seals rings and gives compression to the old worn out engines, Removing that would= no compression afterwards.

exwesty, Aug 10, 1:05am
It's a Nissan RB20E Cefiro with lots of thick sludge around the oil filler cap and under the rocker cover, so if that part is like that I wonder about the rest.

msigg, Aug 10, 1:16am
remove the rocker cover and clean all the top end. Most of the other parts of the engine wil be all good, the build up is at the top end due to the fact that the circulation is not as good and that part of the engine takes longer to heat up , with short running you get condensation build up and sludge in the top end, extremities.

intrade, Aug 10, 1:21am
what you will need is regard the engine as dead when you buy it.
you never ever add any flushes in a engine you discribed unless you fully strip and rebuild it after the flush.
What you can do is remove the rocker cover clean it seperate and check valve clearane if its non hydraulic-automatic adjusted and reseal the cover with new gasket.
on sump remove and check-clean it and oil pickup if removable clean it and reseal the pickup correctly refit sump with new seal.
that would be all i would do if you will own that
apart from that good oil and filters with the same oil it always had dont start change oils like syntetic now or it could act as a flush also.

tamarillo, Aug 10, 2:01am
Hmmmm, good reason to insist on seeing service history methinks.
Looked at various new imports with friend looking for car, none had service history. Even if in Japanese we can get it checked by Japanese speaker to check milage at services.
Walked away from each one. If there is no history . Why not?

kazbanz, Aug 10, 2:03am
DON"T touch it.Seriously dude you will create an apsolutely enormous nightmare for yourself if you try to remove the built up sludge.
remove the rocker cover and soak/scrub it sparkling clean if you must but unless you have some way of sucking every single particle of dislodged gunge from the rocker area it WILL find its way to the sump and pretty fast clog the oil pickup.

kazbanz, Aug 10, 2:08am
RB20 cefiro aint a fresh import most likely.
I and others have explained to you re fresh imports. Service history gets misplaced at the auctions to prevent "poachers" going direct to the seller and bypassing the auction.
Service history on jap imports isn't too much different from here. yep you have books but you look under the bonnet and drivers door hole you often find service stickers for engine,drive train even cooling system. --(when idiot groomers don't remove them here in NZ)

melonhead1, Aug 10, 2:25am
That sludgy RB Cefiro is still going to be in better nick than if you let a boy racer near it. Poor cars, those boy racer pricks don't deserve them.

cjdnzl, Aug 10, 3:16am
My Primera Camino, 130,000 kms is running on Havoline 5-20 full synthetic from Oil Changers, runs beautifully, more power and smoother than before. I've done about 6,000 k's on this oil, and the donk is clean as a whistle from what I can see through the filler cap. Suits me very well.

exwesty, Aug 10, 8:02am
I have discovered the breather pipe at the top is totally blocked and full of sludge too, the car has been used as a daily runner for a few years and about 40kms each way.

2sheddies, Aug 10, 8:17am
Good job you've discovered that before it causes the cam and or crank seals to blow out. I had the cam seal blow out on mine due to a kinked breather hose, filling the timing case with oil.

ambo11, Oct 24, 12:34am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC-SxrsgEwo

Watched this a while ago, scary thought. even in the states where things are cheaper, this must have been an expensive fix.

Kiwis seem to be terrible at servicing too, I know someone with a mid 90s Camry 2.2 wagon who won't spend a cent on it. Had it a few years now and hasn't changed oil, won't even lift the bonnet. Tyres are replaced with $20 ones, never washed. His train of thought is that it was a $1000 car, so when it dies he will do the same again. Poor car, I'd love to get hold of it and give it a wash and a service.

Our cars get done every 8000km or so, and washed regularly. maybe overkill, but while they are treating us well, I think they deserve some thanks!