Maintenance costs for Subaru

surfbluedog, Jul 10, 8:54am
I am considering purchasing a Subaru Impreza, and just wanted to get a better understanding of maintenance costs for it. Having only ever had Toyota's Nissan's or Mazda's, are Subaru's of similar cost or more expensive as far as Servicing, spare parts etc. ?

intrade, Jul 10, 9:03am
subaru with cambelt quite expensive because you essentially have 2 engines component wise , 12 items to change on a cambelt job

sport_billy, Jul 10, 9:23am
Remember if a cambelt engine these are only changed once every 100,000kms - not a frequent job to do.
Some model engines have a cam chain like other makes which minimises maintenance in this regard.
I have had 3 Subarus & find the servicing costs very similar to other makes.

clark20, Jul 10, 10:12pm
If it is not a turbo, esp twin turbo, then not withstanding cam covers leaks (common) then it should be OK. Like all cars it depends on how it has been maintained in the past.

surfbluedog, Jul 10, 10:13pm
Thanks.
I was also thinking that since cambelt changes only happens every 100000 kms, and if that is the only "expensive" thing then thats not too bad.
sport_billy, how have you found Subaru's reliability wise?

intrade, Jul 10, 10:17pm
also be awear treat the comment cambelt has been done as a lie
all the cars i ever purchased in this country all but 1 seller lied about cambelt had been done when it turned out it was not done afterwards.
So you can savely assume they lie about that and factor in that job and make sure you get it done by somone whom actuarly does do it as thats the next thing, i have seen plenty people whom got charged for a cambelt change when absolut nothing had been done.

intrade, Jul 10, 10:24pm
i also had a other surprise that a belt must have been done when no one said anything when i inspected it like on my corolla with 320.000km the last owner got it at 280 tausend so i assume the wrecker must have fitted a new belt befor he sold it or the guy whom sold it to the wrecker back then .

motorboy2011, Jul 10, 10:33pm
same as a V6

sooby, Jul 11, 8:57am
Have owned 2 Subaru for a combined total of 18 years and can say from experience they can be just as reliable as long as you maintain them right.

1. being all wheel drive, Subaru have eight CV boots compared to a front wheel drive's normal four, so there is that increased cost. In my opinion tho it is a very small price pay for better handling & grip.

2. There is slight increased fuel use too, although not massive. See fuel ratings for your intended model in advance so you are better informed.

Just my 2c

a.woodrow, Jul 11, 8:59am
How is 8 cv boots an increased cost? It's not like they have to be replaced regularly and rears don't often split anyway as they don't pivot with the wheel

gmphil, Jul 11, 9:31am
my son is rite into them . stay away from twin turbos . make sure has good service history of oil and water service and there ok ! done a few cambelts manly due to blocked radiators and thermostat crapin out requiring waterpump replacemets

sooby, Jul 11, 9:49am
From my experience, yes having more cv boots in an AWD equates to more to replace, compared to previous FWD cars. YMMD

a.woodrow, Jul 11, 9:55am
Only if you have to actually replace them which isn't likely. Not that they are a significant cost anyway. Why of all things you would use that as a negative is beyond me

motorboy2011, Jul 11, 9:58am
A HUGE proportion of cars now are awd/4wd. If the difference of possibly ever having to replace 4 extra boots is a worry id suggest getting a car in general is not a good idea due to ongoing costs, like petrol.

sport_billy, Jul 11, 10:30am
Of my 3 the most major item I have had to replace so far is an alternator - that's in approx 100,000kms in Legacy's.

I don't scrimp on servicing and make sure it's done regularly - find if you treat Sub's well they treat you well in return. A lot of the horror stories seem to resolve around neglected/abused high performance (twin turbo especially) models.

Just my opinion.

tazcsv, Aug 8, 3:28am
My 2002 gtb twin turbo 5spd now has 270,000ks and still running great, look after them and they are great. beat them to death and dont service them like most have been and they will blow up.

noswalg, Aug 8, 4:20am
Have had my 02 3.0 Legacy for 5yrs now and done 65000kms in it. In that time I have replaced the universal joints (only one failed but both replaced) $500 and a new radiator due to old one starting to weep at 150000kms that was $250 other than that just general servicing, oh yeah yesterday I had to replace a 79c O-ring in the power steering pump. Car has now done 165000kms and should be good for 150000 more.

mals69, Aug 8, 6:03am
What about the CV's themselves ?

Why are you shooting the messenger ? OP wants
to know about them, all the extra shite on a sub
adds up and with it replacement bills one day.
Up to the OP to make the decision whether it worth
buying one - the reason he started the topic.

tamarillo, Nov 3, 8:04am
Eh? Where did that Fact come from? NZ may have a higher proportion than usual due to our love of jap import subarus, but many new softroaders are actually front wheels only and many tough looking raised Utes drive only rears.