Mazda 3 / Atenza

leannekkn, May 17, 4:59am
Looking at buying a Mazda 3/Alexa would a 1500 be to under powered ?should I go for a 2L?

therafter1, May 17, 5:10am
I would, and I would also stay with Mazda 3 and stay away from the Axela.

kazbanz, May 17, 5:13am
sorry to be the scematic police but a mazda 3 is the mazda axella.
The way to find out is to drive one yourself--the previous owners of 1500cc ones didn't think they were underpowered.

therafter1, May 17, 5:23am
Yes, sort of Kaz lol

stevo2, May 17, 5:48am
I have driven the 1500cc and thought it was grossly underpowered.
the 2000cc has ample for most running around.
Mrs Stevo has the 2300cc Axela which has more than enough grunt for a very similar fuel consumption to the 2000cc.
We are about to change it but dont know what to get.

therafter1, May 17, 5:54am
Be a devil and go NZ new with a 2015 GSR Lancer, you should get years and years out of it. I wanted to, but the wife opted to stick with the 07 SP23 that we have that has just clicked over 120km's, so hopefully that still has plenty of life in it.

stevo2, May 17, 5:57am
Considered the Mitsi but her car rarely goes out of town now so something a bit more compact might be more suitable.

stevo2, May 17, 5:58am
OP, sorry i didnt intend to de-rail your post. Cheers Stevo

vtecintegra, May 17, 6:25am
I'd be looking for an NZ new GSX or SP23 personally

Re the Lancer - that's be quite a downgrade even from a first gen 3 IMO - those are an ancient design now, and weren't exactly great even at release time

tamarillo, May 17, 6:29am
Totally up to you and your needs. I'd go with the bigger engine but would expect the 1500 is ample for many people's needs. We tend to have bigger engined versions than say the Europeans have and get used to it.
If you're not into demanding driving, towing, lots of hill work out of town etc I would expect the 1500 ample, but must point out before I get shot down by the anti opinion league that I haven't personally driven the 1500 Mazda 3 so this is purely my expectation.
Kabanz is right, try one for yourself.

leannekkn, May 17, 6:52am
Thanks everyone. Will test drive both.

inkapuka, May 17, 8:12am
Or get the mazdaspeed/mps one I have one and it's a quick little car with a few mods here and there

kazbanz, May 18, 12:32am
everyones bumometer has a different calibration

gman35, May 18, 9:50pm
We have an '05 3 SP23 (2.3l) which goes well despite the "ancient" 4sp auto , the fuel consumption is not a strong suit but they do drive great (steering/handling) and are not boring in feel like a Corolla.
They are not a lightweight car (I guess like most modern vehicles with all the "required" electrical luxuries these days) so I really do not see how a 1.5l one would move out of it's own way. I imagine open-road passing performance would be almost dangerous !

toomuch3, Jan 24, 6:43am
I recently bought a 2l Axella and am very pleased with it. Its the Sportactiv / IStop model. It gets town and country use. Fuel consumption a little over 7l per 100km. Enough grunt to quickly overtake a tractor or truck on country road. Its comfy. Servicing cost $165. If I had to find a criticism its the back seats - not a lot of legroom if adults are in the back and large adults in the front. Since I only cart kids this isn't a problem.