New Ute

Page 2 / 2
cagivachick1, Aug 20, 6:59am
so whats the thoughts on the next generation hilux?

msigg, Aug 20, 7:03am
Nissan or Hilux for me.

brapbrap8, Aug 20, 7:14am
Who knows, nobody has driven it as far as I know!
The specs are certainly not class leading, and it will probably be very expensive.

treachug, Aug 20, 7:36am
haha, that's because down here in good 'ol Chch, every rebuild tradie drives a new ute - whether leased or owned - mainly to gain a higher level on the pose ladder.

pauloc, Aug 20, 7:38am
Got a year old Hilux ( bought new) never looked like going wrong and will get another one next year or maybe the new Fortuner. Had a look at a lot of them but Toyota just seems nicer and put together better. Mind you they should seeing how long they have rung out of this current model Hilux. Having shown my bias there are a lot of utes in the market now and most people are happy with them. Utes are now 20% of the new vehicle market and having driven nearly all of them, most are vast improvements on the old variations. You will probably be happy either way

comadi, Aug 20, 8:22am
Had been driving a 2014 Ranger at work while the normal driver was away, and have just been moved into a 2014 Hilux .
The Hilux 5 speed box is superior to use than the 6 speed Ranger.
The leg room in the Ranger was average, but in the Hilux is p*ss poor, thankfully the cruise control allows me some relief on the open road.
The 4wd shift reaction time on the Hilux dash is pathetic; the Ranger was good.
The half cab on the Hilux without back doors is a big step down from the Rangers half doors.
The flashy touch screen radio in the Hilux does little for me.
Can't complain though, 6 months ago I was driving a Great Wall, biggest piece of sh*t I have ever driven :-D

gman35, Aug 20, 9:44am
I know, I drive a van for work every day but I don't talk about vans non stop or ask what make van someone is buying next or argue for or against my mate who has a certain model or put huge wheels (as in at least 20"+ low profile) on it for no reason than to impress other guys, 90% of whom would also think a van is the only vehicle to have and would not know what a sportscar or petrol engine is anymore.
It's actually a delight to see a boy racers car on the road for a change, that's saying something from me and I bet they talk about their cars less.

subac2, Aug 20, 11:01am
OP, Although not your market, I have had the NP300 DX 2WD 6spd man. petrol for 3 weeks, 2k worth of extras . Currently on 920ks, and got 720ks out of 1st tank (80L tank). Obviously still tight all round and sitting on 10L/100k. Will get better fuel with age. Basic ute, but it suits us, Was in the market for 3 years for a petrol ute and we feel it was worth the wait. Unfortunately 7 speed auto not available in NZ yet. BTW im not a poof lol!
Happy hunting for ya next ute.

brapbrap8, Aug 20, 11:03am
Auto or manual Ranger?
The Auto is a much better unit to drive and more reliable too.
Same with most of the other utes.

franc123, Aug 20, 11:18am
Posts 23 and 24 are absolutely correct IMO.

survivalkiwi, Aug 20, 6:33pm
I have had two tritons (booth bought brand new) and never had a problem with them. Both were gls autos and I do a lot of towing. I now have a new navara np300.
P.s I am not a poof.

mals69, Aug 20, 11:34pm
Says the man that owns a Triton ? - come on you know the build quality
of a Triton is not in the same ballpark as a Navara !

serf407, Aug 21, 3:03am
Former AB looking over the new lux.
https://www.facebook.com/Toyota4x4NZ

3tomany, Aug 21, 3:14am
lmfao they obviously have to pay someone to say something nice

skipdog, Aug 21, 3:14am
Thanks guys. Some great info here. Just got a price on a auto Ranger XLT runout model for 51k on the road which is not to bad I reckon. Will see how much less the equivalent mazda is next

mals69, Aug 21, 3:16am
He employed by Toyota - not going to say it shite is he ?

comadi, Aug 21, 9:12am
Manual. All my companies vehicles are manual :-(
One thing I do like about the Rangers is the ability to leave the door open with the key in the ignition without the traditional bing bing bing alarm.
And use the radio without the key.

tfc3, Aug 21, 9:29am
What reason, we have one at work driven by all, been ok no issues at all

edangus, Aug 21, 9:37am
We have been running 3 Tritons for the last 20 months - Top Spec autos.
No real issues so far. Trust me they guys would be in my ear if there were.

Latest model drives even better and has a lot less road noise.

The ugly grows on you!

budgel, Aug 21, 10:59am
The Triton has a 10 year warranty, saw a brand new one with that printed on the sides.

stevo2, Aug 21, 5:56pm
Subject to conditions-
10 years on powertrain only,
All servicing must be up to date and done by a Mitsubishi dealer for that whole 10 year period.
There are other conditions and exclusions as well.
Having said that, its a wonder other dealers havent followed suit
The same warranty applies to all Mitsi product

mm12345, Aug 21, 9:08pm
http://www.mmnz.co.nz/10-year-warranty/nz-s-best-new-car-warranty/

Perhaps someone who works in a workshop and has a good general idea of what might most likely to be needed on a < 10YO <160,000km turbo-diesel ute, and could comment on how often they'd be doing work which actually might be covered by this "10 year warranty" (and wouldn't be covered by a normal warranty or CGA anyway). My guess is - very rarely.

The entire fuel injection system is excluded, as is the turbo, water pump, timing chain/belt, entire steering, clutches, CVs and universal joints, A/C pump, suspension, as is "normal wear and tear".

The sample size of a few people I know who have had serious $$$ issues with diesel utes isn't high enough for me to say much, except that in every case I know of, it wouldn't have been covered.

I haven't read the Mitsu one thoroughly, but I'd rather eat a dead rat than own a Mitsubishi - they are (IMO) a third-tier low-cost car maker with very dubious history, including being caught in Japan with desks full of documents relating to serious safety issues with their product that they covered up.

3tomany, Aug 21, 9:19pm
the 10 year thing is just for suckers who fall for advertising

fordcrzy, Sep 16, 6:23pm
your best bet is to go and talk turkey on an auto BT50. yes they are ugly but looks are down on the list when it comes to utes. the BT50 and Ranger a re good value new. ive even seen deals on new ones that are CHEAPER than used ones with 60,000 on the clock!