Different VIN number on rear window

jgoater, May 3, 8:07am
I have replaced my rear window and it now shows a different VIN number.
Is this an issue for future owners when it comes to WOF time?

franc123, May 3, 8:13am
No it isn't, all it does is shout out that someone has swapped the rear window with a second hand one out of another vehicle. The manufacturers VIN under the bonnet/under the LH corner of the front windscreen or wherever else the manufacturer has placed the VIN plate or stamped the number in, or the number NZTA have issued to it on the silver tag is the only one that is used for WOF

kazbanz, May 4, 12:56am
Its no issue at all re WOF but word of warning. It HAS caused suspicion that theres something dodgy about the car.
The easy fix is to go to a WOF place that Does Vinning
For a fee they can use a "blank" Vin sandblaster frame and blast over the numbers so its just a opaque stripe. Then they can use your vin number and etch vertically so the correct number is on the window.

lookoutas, May 4, 2:10am
Put a free sticker over it.

richardmayes, May 5, 7:25am
Or explain to a buyer that it's had a used replacement rear screen somewhere along the line?

franc123, May 5, 7:34am
Its highly unlikely that anybody would even notice it.

kazbanz, May 5, 9:27pm
Then its-"why has it had a replacement screen?"
Instant answer in their mind- is "its been in a big prang'
or just -theres something suss about this car.
its not worth the drama honestly.

lookoutas, May 6, 12:15am
We're replacing rear windows all the time. Sometimes its more economical to fit a complete SH tail gate, than stuff around changing windows. But if the window is broken (and it doesn't need to be a big prang either kaz) then there's no option.

I've done it on a vehicle that I've bought, and as above, I got a sticker made saying "5 Speed" and plonked that over the top. Main objective here is to negate confusion.

kazbanz, May 6, 2:04am
hey lookoutas--I KNOW it takes sod all to bust a rear window.
A few myears back mrs kaz forgot to remove a falg from under a cars wheel.-wheel rotated with flag and by by back window of car next to the car she was moving.
but perception vs reality are often quite different

lookoutas, May 6, 6:14am
You should stop posting with your phone kaz.

I meant fitting a SH T/gate if its been damaged, and the window broken or not.

kazbanz, May 7, 1:26am
lmao--just reread my posst--tired eyes not cellphone

gmphil, May 7, 2:22am
die grinder , gently does it now its glass will be a distant memory in a minute

familiadude, Feb 7, 6:19pm
My last car had a different vin n rear hatch didnt bother me as said above it is usually more cost effective to fit a new boot than just the glass