Radiator drain tap mkV Golf

charlie4561, Jul 31, 3:10am
Where the heck is the radiator drain petcock on my 2005 MKV Volkswagen Golf GTI? There doesn't seem to be one. Do I really need to detach the lower radiator hose?

saxman99, Jul 31, 6:41am
A quick google suggests some models have a drain tap and others don't. If not then disconnecting the hose is indeed the way to proceed.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 31, 6:58am
The Quick Disconnects on the hose are often a pain, I just disconnect at the regular hose clip nowadays.

intrade, Jul 31, 11:08pm
make sure to only use vw antifreeze G12+ i think on that one , dont go for some stuff claiming to be compatible it is not and it states in small print. if its GM compatible then its not G12+ end of story , i know this from a video from a coolant analyst whom test coolant for oems.

jason_247, Jul 31, 11:38pm
god you are full of crap man.

Yes you have to use g12+ coolant if that is specified.
and yes g12+ can be abit tricky to track down as not everyone stocks it.

But being gm compatible has absolutely nothing to do with not meeting g12+ requirements.

First one i check the specs on nulon long life. compatible with vw g12 and g12+ and oh look it meets gm standards too.

next one. penrite long life
meets g12+ and gm

next one peak long life, the same. prestone long life again the same

so whos right.
multiple big manufacturers or a guy who watched a video?

jason_247, Jul 31, 11:43pm
Oh and i forgot to point out intrade as usual your advice has NOTHING to do with the question being asked. and is nothing but negativity.

intrade styles .
q. do you know what bulb my car needs.
a. get the light module checked with a $8000 scanner because thats your issue, light bulbs dont fail ever unless the car is about to explode.

q. whats the oil change interval on my car
a. your car is stuffed scrap it and buy a dacia because anything with technology will cost excatly $100,000 to fix very 3 kms you drive no exception.

whats a good 4x4 to get.
dacia sandero.

whats a good people mover
dacia sandero

whats a good round the world yacht
dacia sandero

whats a good shower mixer
dacia sandero

charlie4561, Aug 1, 12:08am
Yes I will be using the correct Volkswagen coolant.

I reckon I probably could use GM Dexcool after a coolant flush, but I am not going to do that.

charlie4561, Aug 1, 12:16am
Yeah thanks, I like those sorts of gadgets. Have an oil pump for doing through the dipstick oil changes.

intrade, Aug 1, 2:02am
not quite that makes sure no air is in the system. on a toyota enema i would have wanted one of them would have saved me 6h worth of time bleeding the spaghetti cooling system years ago.

franc123, Dec 4, 10:09am
6 hrs lol if you know what you are doing you can do old Estima drain flush and fill in half an hour, you fill them very slowly and suck through the upper heater pipe until the new coolant comes through. If it takes you less than 10 minutes of that to fill it up and you get airlocks you are adding the coolant too fast.