Hi jazz, you about mate? Golf Q.

msigg, Apr 27, 10:26pm
Nothing wrong with that one, Good car, buy it with a warranty and do all your servicing and you should be all good. 59k is nothing, just get all the servicing done to make sure, including the gearbox.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 27, 10:44pm
Hi saxman99,
My opinion is generally a no on that one (assuming they are paying anything remotely close to the buy now). It's too close to MK5 money.

In it's favour it is low km's and some do like how simple the old 2.0 is.

However, the MK5 was a huge turning point for the Golf and is just miles ahead of the MK4. The transmission is considerably more efficient and far more durable. It's got loads more power but drinks considerably less. It's safer, considerably better equipped and the annoying niggles that MK4's suffered from are sorted.

Even if they have to borrow a bit more to buy a MK5 the difference is going to pay itself back pretty quickly in terms of fuel savings if they are doing normal sorts of milage.

Don't forget to consider the A3 as well (same car different party dress) and if budget is a concern and they don't mind 2 doors the 2 Door A3's can be exceptionally good value.

That's my take on it anyway. The only concern I really have with a MK5 is that so many are neglected/abused you do need to take care to find a good one. But there are lots of good ones around and I am happy to keep giving opinions as and when required.

Hope that helps!

thejazzpianoma, Apr 27, 10:51pm
Maybe post some idea of their budget and whether 2 doors is an option saxman, that way I could advise better.

Likewise, any other info you have regarding type of use, what sort of km's they are doing etc would be a help.

kazbanz, Apr 27, 10:53pm
My question would be-Why is a 2004 VW golf being advertised as a fresh import? That model hasn't passed emission testing for a few years now so its been here a long time unused.

saxman99, Apr 28, 6:56am
Thanks guys. Will try and get some more info as above.

Interesting point Kaz, cheers.

westwyn, Feb 21, 5:11pm
No, certain 2004 2-litre Golfs with the right build sheet data will comply (a Statement of Compliance is all that is necessary). There are plenty of freshly imported examples on TM to choose from. Most likely, this will indeed be a fresh import.