Cheaper Rego Coming Up

Page 1 / 2
woody1946, Jan 7, 4:20am

intrade, Jan 7, 4:42am
yea its been done to death now if you got a brand new car you will save if its a older one you probably end up paying more then now , remember the government is only here to milk you not actuarly save you money as they never refunded any money they overcharged ute and van owners.
They even printed the bullox on my rego due thing about wow save blabbla if your car is save blablabla. i guarantee you it will only be cars with stability controll and 100 airbags and god knows what ever else so called savety divise who will get a segnificant lower rate like the car john key drives.
http://www.3news.co.nz/nznews/acc-overcharges-van-owners-2013071316#axzz3O6jlmNcv

smac, Jan 7, 6:16am
Intrade get a grip. What are you offering as your guarantee? Pretty much all vehicles are going to be paying less, yes even older one's without stability control etc

franc123, Jan 7, 6:38am
None of the fees are increasing, its my understanding that what reduction you get will be based on safety rating bands or suchlike, nobody I've spoken to appears to know what exactly the fee structure will be.

twincam1, Jan 7, 6:40am
No reduction for bikers

sw20, Jan 7, 6:40am
This is all part and parcel of trying to improve the age of the nations fleet.

If you were looking at a car and had the choice between the 1999 or the 2000 you would get the 2000, because of one year WOF.

Now they are making relicencing cheaper if your car is new and safe. It's to appeal to the masses who only use a car to get from A to B.

franc123, Jan 7, 7:38am
NZTA knows from their numbers that NZ still has a big chunk of vehicles in the 1995-99 range on the road, that are fitted with a mishmash of safety features, ABS with no airbags, vice versa, one airbag, dual airbags etc, many of which were fundamentally based on early 90's models, these are the ones they want gone.

melonhead1, Jan 7, 9:00am
They're gutting ACC to "give" us these savings. Its not good in the long run.

next-to-normal, Jan 8, 10:27am
like to see RUC off smaller vehicles too,throw 10 cent or so extra on the diesel

aredwood, Jan 8, 11:23am
The cheaper rego starts from 1st July. I recently received 1 of those "Your rego is about to expire" letters. And there was an extra pamphlet in it saying that you should consider paying for less than 12 months. It had the ACC logo on it and it referred to the ACC website.

truckr, Jan 10, 4:56am
so basically like with everything , the rich that can afford the rego as it is will save more because they can afford a new car with all the safety stuff in it and the poor that can't afford it now will still pay the most because they can't afford a new car. and we wonder why the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

r.g.nixon, Jan 10, 4:58am
The rich people have big depreciation on their fancy new cars. So I hear.

mrfxit, Jan 10, 5:07am
LMFAO, what makes a car 'safe'.
Can any car parked correctly with no driver be unsafe

mrfxit, Jan 10, 5:10am
Spot on.
It's always been like that where the rich pay the least because they can buy in bulk for the best gear.
The poor have to settle for the second hand with minimal safety std's & then get blasted by the rich for not having the good gear for best protection

tigger888, Jan 10, 5:17am
Hi, what is the most popular selling car on TM?

tigger888, Jan 10, 5:18am
Oops put that in the wrong place. sorry

thejazzpianoma, Jan 10, 5:18am
and it's not just registration, there are so so many things that are part of the poverty trap for many.

Motoring wise you have the same payment issue with insurance, but that's only a small thing.

What really gets lots of people is parking fines for no registration. It's not uncommon at all for those on the breadline to have to delay paying their vehicle licensing to cover a dentists bill or something similar. Then they get a parking ticket for what could be five times the amount of registration that is owing. It's totally unfair, you would never accept that sort of pentalty for late GST, rates or any other tax, and a private company trying that would likely get dragged through the media and stomped on. Yet here we are, brainwashed to accept it.

The thing is, this tax is going to get paid anyway, the vast majority won't risk it long term and certainly won't allow a car to get de-registered because it's so late. It pretty much always gets paid in the end.

. and that's only the car related stuff. There are so many things that those on the breadline suffer, no discount on their electricity, no stocking up on meat when it's on sale etc etc.

It's expensive being poor.

mrfxit, Jan 10, 5:26am
LOL yea, my poorest situations have always been when I have worked the hardest for less pay.

franc123, Jan 10, 6:27am
Lol yeah and who is paying for that? They ain't.

pattym1, Jan 12, 1:24am
can i disagree here please - i have an 18 year old car with all the safety features. would sell for around $4K.

skyblue17, Jan 12, 2:02am
Oh.? ESC and multiple airbags.?
Edited to add: multiple isn't 2. it's more like 8 or 12.

pattym1, Jan 12, 2:19am
driver and passenger air bags, four wheel abs, side impact protection (its a coupe), height adjustable seatbelt anchors.

pattym1, Jan 12, 2:20am
yes i understand multiple. i said my car was 18 years old. make that 19 years old now and i would stand by it being safer and stronger in a crash than most cars half its age.

skyblue17, Jan 12, 2:22am
Sorry but I think those are considered 'minimal' safety features. They weren't unusual in mid-90s cars.

pattym1, Jan 12, 2:25am
sigh. sorry but you miss my point. this was a $100,000 car fresh off the production line. its well specd for its age. now its worth around $4k. so the posts above about only expensive or new cars having the safety features are wrong. that is all.