Any Car Mechanics around.

john26a, Apr 3, 5:33am
Hi, I have a 1995 Nissan Primera. My mechanic replaced the upper link on the right side but I have a clunking noise coming from the front of the car. I have check the bolts he removed but found when you move the front wheels like you turning the corner left to right there is the clunking noises and the wheels move around 30 mm. I don't think this is right. Any answers apart form waiting till Tuesday and taking my car back.

Thanks.

intrade, Apr 3, 5:57am
no its not and the suspension is a dual linked wierdo system if i recall right . a mechanic should have the skills to find and fix it correctly . .

intrade, Apr 3, 6:00am
you already found the play try to identify where it is on the suspension component without getting run over. Rocking the car on the roof also is a good test to look for play Grabing the roof with windo down and rock it sidways i hope you get what i mean

snoopy221, Apr 3, 6:04am
Standard issue they flog out the rubber bushes

mechnificent, Apr 3, 6:46am
It sounds like the steering to me. The mechanic may have had the steering ball joint off and it may not be tight.

treachug, Apr 3, 7:33am
Crikey I thought you meant rolling the car onto its roof & finding the play that way. thought it was a bit extreme. re-read it & thought glad I was wrong. lol

franc123, Apr 3, 10:56pm
I sincerely hope that the tie rod end hasn't been left loose or else been damaged somehow. I wouldn't be driving it anywhere, who did the job should be coming to your place, checking it out and taking the appropriate action.

mechnificent, Mar 29, 7:02am
Absolutely Franc.

If there is thirty mills of play in the road wheel it is really dangerous. If it's newly arrived thirty mills of play in the steering wheel it's still cause for concern.

The OP should certainly let the mechanic know before driving it anywhere. and tell him they are not happy about driving it.