How Long to Report Insurance Claim

motig, Jul 8, 4:24am
Yep, quick question, how long do you have to report an insurance claim for car damage ?

budgel, Jul 8, 6:46am
Each company will have their own rules. They do tend to ask for prompt reporting.
Why would there be a delay in claiming?

rctr, Jul 8, 6:50am
Insurance cos don't like paying out at the best of times don't give them an excuse to not pay out

tigger8, Jul 8, 6:51am
most companies have a 0800 number so ring asap

tjholding, Jul 8, 8:37pm
(Source: Work in the industry).

Techncially there is no limit, unless the delay 'prejudices' the claim in some way (for example if there is a significant increase in costs OR the damage has degraded due to time and/or water ingress) - see Section 9 of the Insurance Law Refrom Act 1977.

However I would suggest reporting it right away - what is the reason you want to delay?

rbd, Mar 1, 2:09am
I had an issue once where I lodged a couple of claims (one self inflicted, one a large door ding with the idiot that caused it unidentified) and then postponed repair while I prioritised funds for other things. I then came under extreme pressure from AMI to complete repairs as they wanted to close the claims for internal accounting pressure. About three months later I got final demand letters stating the claims would be cancelled if repairs were not complete. I rang them with a bollocking and that the customer (with several policies) is always right. They backed off. Always be willing to challenge your insurance company as they will use bully tactics!