Why are replacement speakers such crap quality?

Page 2 / 2
jason18, Jan 31, 1:44am
So did you install speakers and headunit at the same time or just the speakers

ambo11, Jan 31, 1:57am
Installed both at same time, original radio was just an AM/FM radio only. Maybe its worth running a wire straight to battery for best power, just to test if that helps?

gmphil, Jan 31, 2:29am
hey no mention of rear speakers to u have them are they wired up to they sound ok ?!

ambo11, Jan 31, 3:55am
Hi no rear speakers, just the two 4 inchers in the dashboard

utwo, Jan 31, 4:11am
Unless you've got a faulty speaker, the problem is more likely that the amp in the head unit is crap.

emmerson1, Jan 31, 9:41am
Oop, just remembered something; make sure you have a really good earth on the head unit. They usually have a bolt that you can tie a hook or loop terminal onto. Bad earths can cause all sorts of mischief.

jason18, Jan 31, 5:40pm
It will be the head unit. Those cheap ones really are very very average. I bet if you hooked the new speakers into the original head unit it would sound better than the domain unit. If you want to keep the head unit. I would suggest getting a cheap 2 channel amp. That way you can tune it to give it the best output.

ambo11, Jan 31, 6:32pm
Hi, thanks for replies, I'm getting another head unit, and will run new wiring to everything. Don't want to start hanging speakers elsewhere in the van as they will get damaged. Thanks for all the input.

kazbanz, Jan 31, 8:56pm
Ambo--before going as far as replacing anything why not swap the left speaker wires to right etc.--that will quickly decide if its head unit or speaker--save a heap of work too

ambo11, Jan 31, 9:18pm
Kaz, thanks, forgot to get out there and do that. Just have however, and the noisy speaker has remained on the left side. so has to be speaker issue I threw box etc out when I fitted them, but still have proof of purchase. I'm unsure if Supercheap will replace them, but will give them a ring and find out. cheers for reminding me!

jason18, Jan 31, 9:22pm
Oh good stuff. They should replace them regardless.

ambo11, Jan 31, 9:38pm
Yep just rang them, they want to do their own independent test. Should be interesting!

stevo2, Jan 31, 10:25pm
Possible that someone bought them, fitted, cranked up the volume and stuffed em. Then tape up the box and returned them for a credit saying they didn't fit or similar.
New speakers are supposed to be "Run in". ie. slowly increase the volume levels over a period of time.

morrisjvan, Feb 1, 8:45pm
''Domain'' head unit and ''$40.00'' speakers - there's your problem right there!

supernova2, Jul 10, 12:02pm
I fitted some of these the other day. They are surprising good. I guess the rest of the range are similar.
http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/catalog/product/American-Hi-Fi-5-X-7in-Speakers-3-Way-Coaxial-170-Watt?SKU=1319114