Falcon sluggish starting issue

2sheddies, Dec 3, 4:41am
Hey guys. Had this issue with my 6cyl ED 'Coon ever since I've owned it, but recently it's become a lot worse. Cranks over really slowly and often only just manages to fire up. I did an experiment trying it with headlights on, in this case they dim and it gets slower and slower and dies completely, as if battery is kaput. Turn lights off and we're back to sluggish but she's able to just fire. Don't know if that bit of info helps. Any suggestions for likely culprits? Battery seems okay, but untested as yet so thought I could start by checking/cleaning earth connections, then look more closely at battery as a likely suspect.

But I was wondering about the starter motor itself. can this be a symptom of a failing starter? It's a bugger of a problem cos I never feel confident it's gonna start half the time!

franc123, Dec 3, 4:50am
Clean all the earth connections first and ensure all the connections at the battery are sound, the bus bar connections on the positive terminal on EA-ED are bad for corrosion, this can also affect obviously how well it charges too. The engine ground cable to the block also needs particular attention, as does the actual starter cable at the starter. Don't unbolt the cable from the starter without ensuring the battery is disconnected! See how you go with that first, if the battery is getting dodgy it pays to get a replacement of 500cca, some catalogues list 400 or 430 that are really only just adequate for them.

2sheddies, Dec 3, 4:59am
Great, cheers franc! Brilliant info as always. Will start with that and go from there. I do think a new battery will be the go. it's over 4 years old so likely getting tired.

kazbanz, Aug 6, 7:29pm
I agree with frank but think the next place to look is the starter brushes