1996 Legnum VR4 transmission

emmaj26, Apr 6, 6:57am
Hi everyone, I'm posting this on behalf of my husband who is away at the moment. I need some advice re the gears in his car (IMO horrible car, but it is what it is).

He was driving one day and lost the ability to change to third gear. Managed to skip to fourth in tiptronic, but when he tried to go back down, he lost all gears and went to neutral. The only two gears that are working properly are first and second.

Am I right in thinking something is horribly wrong with the transmission? If the transmission has crapped out, what is a ball park figure to have it replaced (I know im asking a hard question but im trying to furiously save for the worst case scenario).

My problem is trying to figure out if its worth getting the car fixed, or if its best to sell as is and buy another runabout.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

robotnik, Apr 6, 7:52am
The best place to ask questions about the VR-4 is at the forums on www.clubvr4.co.nz.

Anyway, it might just be that the torque converter seal has failed which is very common, and it just needs topping up with fluid. Top it up through the transmission dipstick with Mitsubishi SPIII compatible fluid and see what happens.

It is probably stuffed though and in which case it will be $4000 for a reconditioned transmission. You of course don't want to do that, so maybe try a used transmission from a junkyard if you really want to keep the vehicle. It will be maybe $500 for a used transmission and a $1000 to fit I guess.

robotnik, Apr 6, 7:53am
Also take it to the Mitsi dealer and have them scan the computer for codes. It could be something again fairly cheap to rectify like a transmission solenoid.

robotnik, Apr 6, 8:03am
Oh yeah, before you top it up with fluid, first check that it is actually running low. With the engine hot and running cycle from P through all the gears and back a couple of times. Then in N again with the engine running, check the level of the transmission fluid.

emmaj26, Apr 6, 8:32am
Ok thanks for that. Good advice. I won't be letting the husband spend more than $1000 on fixing it so we'll investigate and see where we get.

vr4_legnum, Mar 26, 9:01am
If the transmission needs replacing, I have a mate who has a good condition auto transmission he would sell, He was keeping it as a spare but he going be doing a manual conversion so he don't be needing it, Won't asking alot of it, If interested contact me on my listing