How to get a rego off hold

rpee, Sep 21, 9:23am
Hi, I have just brought a motorcycle which is on hold till early next year.
I want to rego it now but the nzta online does not recognize the rego number ! Can anybody help ? Cheers

socram, Sep 21, 9:31am
When you say 'just bought', has the change of ownership gone through yet?

v8_mopar, Sep 21, 9:32am
It comes off hold when the ownership changes.

Put the number in here and see if its still active

https://www.carjam.co.nz/

rpee, Sep 21, 9:40am
Hi, I changed ownership today & just looked up carjam & it's still active. Might wait till tomorrow & I will have another go ! Thanks for your reply's .

kazbanz, Sep 21, 7:49pm
Is it a motorcycle or a scooter? -sub 50cc?
If it is a motorcycle the reason you will be unable to register the bike is that it is not showing as having an active WOF.
You need to go get a WOF then register the bike

elect70, Sep 22, 2:00am
Ownership change doesnt make any difference i bought a few on hold then got them up to scratch for WOF & rego . Sure he put it on the register ?

socram, Sep 22, 2:40am
No WoF? WoF first, then register on line should be OK.

quickbuck, Sep 23, 12:49am
Okay, I have a related situation that you guys might be able to help with (rather than spend all my phone data trolling through NZTA Site. ) I have sole a 250 Production Race Bike. The Rego has been on hold for years (Yes, I hold it everytime it comes up) to keep the frame in the system. Of course it hasn't has a WOF for quite a while.
I have sold it and am wanting to change the ownership. So, can I transfer the ownership to the new owner and can he put it back on hold straight away? Hence nil requirement for a WOF? Or, can I put it on hold for them?Actually, now I have typed it out, I think I know the logical answer. but who ever said Govt Departments are logical.

kazbanz, Sep 23, 1:15am
QB--THEY need to do c of o then put rego back on hold or deregister the bike

quickbuck, Sep 23, 1:29am
As I thought. Cheers.
Not going to deregister bike. It has officially only done 2000k. Pretty good for a 2010 ;)
Seriously though, worth more to the new owner if the frame stays in the system in the event that it needs to be put back on the road one day. And it does help keep track of it.

Just realised I have never actually sold a vehicle before.
Always been written off lol. or taken by the ex, or kept.

v8_mopar, Sep 23, 6:09am
Wow, you must have a paddock of oldies and wrecks or a trail of ex wife's

froggyb, Sep 24, 5:46am
rego on exemption goes with the vehicle and remains active until such time as the vehicle is WoFed ( or CoFed ) and then registered for road use again
Very simple process

noswalg, Sep 24, 7:00am
You've got my curiosity up, What flavour bike is it?

kazbanz, Sep 24, 7:22am
has to be a hyubag surely

mrfxit, May 11, 9:26am
My ex took mine & THEN wrote it off ;-(