Hatch back for $4-5k

izabels, Jun 24, 2:37am
Hi all, I was wondering if I could get your advice on 5 door hatchback auto 1.3-1.5L for 4-5k

Ones I've considered are
Nissan Cube - Quite roomie, little quirky but based on other bits and bobs and geared auto

Mazda Demio - bit smaller but I've had one before but seems the cambelt needs doing

Honda Jazz/Fit - I like how roomie it is but I've read that the CVT box pikes out pretty quickly and costs a ton to fix

There is a few smaller cars like the March and Bitz but they are a little on the small side

Thanks for any advice

tgray, Jun 24, 3:39am
I like the Toyota Ist.
No cambelt, no CVT trans and a 'proper' fuel gauge.
They sit quite wide, so handle pretty nicely.
You should be able to find one in the upper range of your budget.

izabels, Jun 24, 3:47am
I hadn't looked at the IST but I will give it a looksie now

kazbanz, Jun 24, 3:59am
izabells- for that money you would be looking at a higher mileage DY series demio (2002-2007)
Or a Toyota echo/vitz
If you don't mind the looks Toyota Funcargo 1999-2003
All camchain engines.

izabels, Jun 24, 4:05am
I'll be doing some pretty high mms for the next few months so I'm keen to get a lower kms car

kazbanz, Jun 24, 4:13am
Higher km's in a well maintained car really don't mean a lot.

msigg, Jun 24, 5:42am
Yes as kazbanz has said, higher hotter km are all fine, these little engings will do 300k easy, Like on any car the cooling system is the key, the engine don't wear out they get cooked by owners not doing regular service, oil and coolant/corrosion inhibitor.

tgray, Jun 24, 6:41am
Maybe he wants to protect resale value by buying a low K one.

kazbanz, Jun 24, 7:06am
Limited budget means either compromise ion age or milage.
Given the fairly big technology leap going to an 02 demio and an 00 vitz over the older options Im suggesting compromise miles not year

thejazzpianoma, Jun 24, 7:11am
Fiat Grande Punto, a proper effectively current model car for around 5K (perhaps a tad over). Fully galvanised so no rust, parts are cheap and easy to get, very low maintenance and super reliable maintenance free auto. 5 Star NCAP safety and lots of great features. Very roomy for size.

Can't go wrong, and a LOT better than most of what you have been looking at.

izabels, Jun 24, 7:39am
Id rather get a low K engine as I dint know how it's been treated so lower ks might mean less wear.

Also I'd prefer a Japanese brand as every euro car I've had has cost more to fix

Demio Mich be a good ticket, kind of considering Demio or Cube

kazbanz, May 1, 11:18am
Ive been having this exact same conversation a fair bit this week.
One other option is to go for an "unusual" model
Specifically the Toyota Will Cypha.
The reason being that the Cypha IS a Toyota Vitz with different body panels. They are 04-06 but much cheaper than other stuff the same age due to the shape.