I have given up my truck licence

Page 2 / 2
nukhelenc, Sep 9, 9:51pm
Years ago i wanted to get my P licence.
They said you have to bring a bus, i said yip no prob, i told them i would bring an 11meter long house bus, why not it was a bus once upon a time.
They said NO, it has to be a bus with seats in it.
I said yes, it has a drivers seat and some other seats behind the drivers.
They said NO A bus with seats.
I said ok how many seats does it need and ill biff them in.
They, started getting shitty.
I said
Ok ill hire a bus with seats then, i turned up in the smallest i could get away with. How stupid was all that. :)

tony9, Sep 9, 9:51pm
Class 4 and above needs a medical certificate to get the license, then at every renewal.

tamarillo, Sep 9, 9:55pm
Do you mean a simple p endorsement? If so they're very wrong, as a p is needed even to drive a car with paying passengers. I got it for local tour work in sedan. Test was in my own small car.

nukhelenc, Sep 9, 9:59pm
Passenger service lic. To drive any bus i suppose
Had to have a medical as well

And no im not a bus driver :)

stuartb2, Sep 9, 10:16pm
Did a licence renewal late last year. I have 1-6 and some endorsements including P. There is apparently 2 standards for medical certificates,1 for heavy goods ie 3-5 and a higher standard for P. Until some health issues were sorted I just missed for the heavy goods and had no show for the P.

gpg58, Sep 9, 11:24pm
Had a medical last year to keep my truck and trailer, it was laughable. I read the bottom line of sight test with both eyes before trying other lines, then again with just right eye and eventually with some effort, also with left. Doc called that near perfect vision, and said to pass i only had to read 4 lines up! cripes i would call that legally blind.

bwg11, Sep 9, 11:49pm
You are so right. I've worn glasses since my late forties. I consider my left eye to be half blind. I took an eye test when I renewed my HT when I was 65. The technician asked if I wore glasses all the time, i replied that I did. She said try the test without glasses which I did and both eyes passed easily, and was photographed without glasses for my licence pic.

It scares me too, to think that some oncoming drivers might be as blind as my bad eye in both eyes.

gpg58, Sep 9, 11:55pm
At least for a P, you need slightly better eyes, 1 whole line better at line 3.

2sheddies, Sep 10, 1:12am
It's quite odd how the system works isn't it. You can get a full car licence in an auto and, in the case of someone who gained their restricted in an auto, having had no prior experience whatsoever in a manual, are now legally entitled to operate one. Similarly with heavy vehicle licences, someone who gained their HT 40 years ago in a tiny (by todays standards) D Series Ford or TK Beddy with 4 speed box can now, with the equivalent class 4 licence, and no further, up to date refresher training/testing, operate any size/weight rigid truck. So you could put them in a huge Kenworth twice the size, 4 times as powerful as the thing they passed the test in, and with vastly more complicated systems and an 18 speed transmission, and despite having no idea how to operate it, they'd be legal and very likely a danger to themselves and every other road user. Assuming they could even find a take off gear. Seems crazy.

elect70, Sep 10, 2:05am
They all say that . Old guy down the road 94 still drive & does nt have to wear glasses , they cant believev he passes medical & licence test . He Puts it down to odd nip of real russian vodca every day .

lookoutas, Jul 13, 3:37am
Yeah - my sentiments too clatty.
Had that nuking deal 7 years ago, and I say to all out there. "Go'n'get fingered"

If you're lucky, it might be the same little Asian Dr chic with the short fingers.

I don't plan on giving my HT away for the sake of a cough.