Subaru Outback Towing

matt5209, Apr 29, 8:27am
Hi all,

I've been thinking of getting a replacement car for a while but now am able to go ahead with it.

I've pretty much settled on an Outback. I had planned on getting the 3.6 but they are hard to come by with reasonable mileage for my price range (early 20s). Thinking I can get by with the 2.5 and will have more choice.

Question is has anyone towed with the 2.5 CVT? I have a 19' boat that weighs in at 1500kg with 1/3 gas and basic gear on board. I see that the tow rating is 1500kg compared to 2000kg for the 3.6.

I think the 2.5 will have the power, it's just down to the CVT. It's only a short tow when needed, and perhaps a long tow once a year or so.

Thoughts?

Cheers.

mephismeltdown, Apr 29, 9:08am
you must like paying for petrol. try buying a diesel for towing.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 29, 9:37am
I know it's a pain when you have finally narrowed down what you want. However for your budget and requirements, I think you can do a lot better in that there are other options where you don't have to be pushing the maximum tow limit and risking a an expensive CVT repair.

My 2C.

bwg11, Apr 29, 10:00am
Bite the bullet and buy a 3.0 or 3.6 if you are doing much towing. Towing with an under-powered vehicle is just a pain in the bum. I know, I have towed big boats for 25 years with TD27 Terranos, old diesel Discos and Prados. The last few years, I have been towing with a Disco 4 and a petrol FJ cruiser and believe me, with adequate power, towing can become a pleasure.

Even though I drive my wife's CVT Swift Sport a lot, and like the CVT, I would be reluctant to tow a lot at its maximum tow rating. I may be wrong, and just carrying my prejudices from the CVT Nissans of the 1990's to the present day.

matt5209, Apr 29, 10:16am
Cheers for the replies so far.

Just to clarify, as I said, I don't tow often. I don't need a diesel to tow once a month at most.

I would prefer, and have been looking for, a 3.6 but there isn't anywhere the number of them compared to the 2.5.

I like the Outback but if you can think of a viable alternative for early 20s, less than 60-70k, 2009 or later that can tow and has a boot that can take baby gear plus a dog feel free to recommend something. I don't need recommendations of a '92 Landcruiser.

Does anyone have actual experience of towing with the Subaru CVT?

Appreciate the help

sport_billy, Apr 29, 11:32am
I have a 3.6 Outback. I test drove the 2.5 CVT but just wasn't a fan - and I personally didn't want to tow with the Cvt.

3.6 is a great car (coming from a 2006 3.0 legacy). Any questions sing out.

Ps check out AutoSelect or orix etc for an ex-lease

tamarillo, Apr 29, 3:27pm
Whilst not a fan of cvt,surely if it's a short distance twice a month and is within makers towing rules it is fine. Take it easy, don't strain it, get auto serviced regularly. Seen decent sized caravans pulled by far lesser cars in Europe.
They ain't going to claim a tow weight that is a problem, imagine the court case in the states if they did that and cars failed?

thejazzpianoma, Apr 29, 7:24pm
I would find it pretty hard to go past a VW Passat. You can have a 4WD wagon version if you want (generally comes with the 3.2 engine) or a choice of very quick diesel engines. There are wagon versions available.

The Passat has the 6 Speed wet clutch DSG which is a direct drive unit like a manual transmission so very hardy for towing, full engine braking like a manual and the ability to take full manual control if you desire. It's a super well proven and very tough transmission.

You also get tow stability control (look that up on youtube to see how impressive it is). Low maintenance, reliability, superb comfort and exceptionally good economy (even the 3.2 for what it is).

You could also consider a Skoda Octavia (same vehicle different party dress) which may give you a few more to choose from.

Oh, and be aware too that even the 2WD Passat's/Skoda's have a locking front diff so you should have no worries pulling the boat out on a slippery ramp. If you decide you want the 4WD as well, the Audi quattro 4WD system VW uses is superb and gives you traction in that sort of situation like pretty much nothing else.

From what I remember the Passat has a towing capacity of around 1800 - 2000KG braked depending on engine and year. Obviously look it up first hand if you decide to go down this route. Also Golf platform cars (like the Passat) have won every UK Caravan club tow car of the year for about a decade, they are that good. (going on memory there but the trolls will tell me if I am wrong!)
It's a thought anyhow, my suggestion is to take one for a drive and see what you think.

matt5209, Feb 20, 2:54am
Hi all,

I keep an eye on autoselect but being NZ new the prices seek to be a bit higher.

Personally I think the CVT should be able to cope but I would still love to hear from someone that has one. I see plenty around with tow bars, someone must have some advice!

Thanks for the advice on other cars but a Territory with 170k is a bit outside my ideal of 60-70k. I've kept an eye on Passats but they are smaller than the Outbacks and also I haven't seen one that fits within my age/km/price requirements. I'm sure a Quattro Audi or four wheel drive Skoda would be fantastic but you can't get one with comparable specs to the Outback.

Cheers again