Approx cost to replace diff on a Subaru Outback

toxictanyia, Oct 7, 8:36am
Hi just wanting some help, trying to figure out if it worth fixing or not. Any info would be helpful.

seadubya, Oct 7, 8:47am
You're right, any info would be helpful.
Like year, engine, gearbox, model, front or rear, etc. If you're not sure, look under the bonnet for this http://s209.photobucket.com/user/frecku/media/DSCN1273.jpg.html

panicky, Oct 7, 9:07am
or centre diff

toxictanyia, Oct 7, 11:49am
1999 Subaru Outback its 4 wd drive. they didn't say just said the noise was the dif. I put it in the shop for them to tell me what the noise was. 550. later and drove out of the shop and the noise was back. took the mechanic for a drive and he said its the dif.

jmma, Oct 7, 12:08pm
OK we will try this, what sort of noise and when does it happen.
Bit by bit :o)

toxictanyia, Oct 7, 1:01pm
When I change gear and it almost like a clacking sound almost like a fan when its hitting something and sounds almost like a tractor with no exhust sound if that make sense

jmma, Oct 7, 1:15pm

toxictanyia, Oct 7, 1:25pm
yip thats the noise but abit louder

toxictanyia, Oct 7, 1:30pm
So is it expensive to fix?

mechnificent, Oct 7, 2:29pm
Well if it's the center diff, I'd say there is going to be a lot of metal through the gearbox. so really it needs an overhaul.
You don't say whether it's auto or manual, but last time I overhauled an auto it took about twenty-four hours and six-hundred dollars of wearing parts and seals etc. I didn't have to replace gears because that one wasn't making that noise.
A manual will be less hours.
Whether auto or manual, parts with that noise coming out of it could cost anything.

The best thing would be to go around and get quotes. Off people that do overhauls, not garages that don't have a clue and will just send the box away to be done.

toxictanyia, Oct 7, 3:48pm
Its a manual. and thanks for that it gives me a litlle bit more info to go on

mechnificent, Oct 7, 3:56pm
Check your gearbox oil with it's dipstick, have a real close look to see if there are any traces of metal in the oil on the stick. or. get someone to drain it and have a real good look. oil is fairly cheap.

toxictanyia, Dec 31, 7:56am
thanks will do. Thanks for all the help