Please educate me on tyres.

maitreyah., Dec 9, 10:56pm
What is the "difference" between a performance tyre and a standard tyre both of the same size? other than the price? I notice performance tyres are far more expensive but I don't understand why. Thanks in advance :)

monaro17, Dec 9, 11:03pm
When it comes to Tyres you get what you pay for. The more you pay the better the tyre

maitreyah., Dec 9, 11:12pm
Hi monaro, thanks for your reply, so basically im a chick, but not a mechanic, and I understand like a lot of things, you get what you pay for, but in my minds eye or chicks typical mentality, a tyre is a tyre, made of rubber (& im probably wrong & you maybe rolling your eyes :) but what are the differences? Are the more expensive ones made differently why they are more? How are they better please?

peja, Dec 9, 11:15pm
Speed and handling. If you are only going to be trundling around in urban settings or in peak hour traffic, and rarely get over 80-90 kmh, you probably dont need performance tyres. If you do a lot of high speed open road driving and tend to push your car hard on the other hand, performance tyres will be a good investment

serf407, Dec 9, 11:16pm
The expensive tyre is usually a consequence of the money spent developing the design, the compounds used in the tyre, materials used in the tyre and often a more complex construction.
https://youtu.be/1o9mVZxoayA

maitreyah., Dec 9, 11:18pm
Thanks you guys you are all awesome, thanks for the insight :)

gram, Dec 9, 11:21pm
Don't forget that part of being a 'performance' tyre is better braking, wet or dry.

bwg11, Dec 9, 11:27pm
Absolutely. My wife asks why I put $250 tyres on her car when $150 tyres would do. My answer is when you have a "panic" stop do you want to stop a metre away from the stopped car or be 1 metre into its rear, or worse, miss the child or have it under your car? This satisfies her and she writes the cheque.

mals69, Dec 10, 1:25am
It usually a balance of more performance orientated the less mileage
you get out of the tyre ?

gazzat22, Dec 10, 1:37am
Tyres have 2 ratings ,Load and speed ,First nbrs are load 81 to 96 second nbr is speed rating Look up Tyre Ratings NZ will explain it all.I,ve always worked on,The more Grip the more wear but can also mean more noise but thats just my opinion,i,m sure some expert will disagree.

mals69, Dec 10, 1:41am
Where does the National Business Review fit into the scheme of things ? :)
Yeah what you say is my experience, better the grip quicker the wear. Softer rubber to bead into road undulations better.

tamarillo, Dec 10, 2:22am
Op, what is your car? Can often guess what type of tyre is best by type of car.
Performance car, used as such, wants performance tyre.
Good every day car for variety of uses, mid range tyre maybe approx $200-$250 each.
El cheapo car only used as shopping trolley, cheaper tyre approx $150.

morrisman1, Dec 10, 2:49am
Good tyres have better structure, stickier rubber. Cheap tyres meet the design spec of being round and black.

Personally i think if the cars suspension will take advantage of the better tyre then get a better one. It was the best thing i did to my wagon was putting Bridgestone potenza tyres on, massive amounts of grip for road driving.

There is a happy balance between getting good tyres which grip well but don't wear too fast. Im getting about 50,000km out of the set of bridgestone re002, which is bloody good going for a performance tyre

bryshaw, Dec 10, 7:18am
Maxxis
Victra Asymmet M35 (205/55 R16), Consumer says they are a very good tyre at $195.

alfred011, Dec 10, 7:47am
Depends what you drive and how you drive a tyre dealer will always try to sell you the dearest tyre on the rack when one half the price will suit your vehicle and driving style.

youngones2, Dec 10, 8:00am
always bought good tyres on my mondeo wagon and unfortunatley in a moment of distraction i thought i was going to hit car in front but managed to stop without hitting car infront. felt stupid but pleased tyres done the job in advoiding an accident. money saved in my book and now more attentive in my driving. cost $350/tyre goodyear eagle asssimetrical 2 gets my vote

alfred011, Dec 10, 8:35am
Probably reaction time and ABS brakes made you stop.

mack77, Dec 10, 9:55am
I think that the most direct answer to the O.P. is that high performance tyres enable a car to corner very fast in both wet and dry conditions compared to low performance tyres which will result in the car sliding out of control at the same given speed. Some high performance tyres may also have a shorter stopping distance than that of low performance tyres.
In my experience, straight line stability may also be improved, especially if you choose low profile tyres.
The best performing tyres are usually not the most expensive tyres.

kazbanz, Dec 11, 12:39am
OP if you are still out there.
The definition of a "performance tyre" can be really challenging.
The first part is the carcase construction
The second is the tread pattern
The third is the tyre compound or compounds.
The problem in NZ is that there is an expectation a tyre will perform well no matter the road type or weather conditions.
THAT means that a true sports tyre In the dry on smooth road will stick like poo to a blanket. youll find though is often not as good performance in the wet due to having bad water expulsion abilities.They also because the rubber is soft tend to wear out a lot faster than a more general purpose tyre.
I genuinely feel that there is no need to use a true performance tyre for normal road use in NZ. Im not suggesting buying cheapies but using a good quality middle of the road tyre.

bryshaw, Jul 3, 1:02am
Pretty good prices here:

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/catalog