Dry rot on tyres

robotnik, Jan 10, 1:43pm
Are the dry rot cracks on my tyres anything to worry about? Tyres are Bridgestone Regno GR-9000s, with a Jan 2010 date code. The size being 225/45/17 94W. See close up photos.

These were used tyres from Japan, bought fairly cheap a couple of years ago.

http://www.pbase.com/robotnik123/image/158763088.jpg http://www.pbase.com/robotnik123/image/158763090.jpg

jason18, Jan 10, 6:13pm
I had a similar set for bought off trade me. Told me they were like new. Asked 2 tyre places and both said they wouldn't drive on em and my WOF guy wouldn't pass em. For the price of a couple of tyres I would replace them. Altho I may have skidded them up instead lol

skull, Jan 10, 6:37pm
I would say that most of us would not allow tyres like that on any of our family cars, I would not even want them on a trailer. You've had your cheap out of them, time to open up your purse and get some new ones.

afer_daily, Jan 10, 7:21pm
Dry rot / just use some builders bog ?

mrfxit, Jan 10, 7:34pm
Yep once they crack like that they are only any good for keeping a vehicle or trailer moveable on a home section or workshop.

That rubber is as HARD as hell with a very minimal of grip in the dry & buggerall in the wet.
1 decent pothole with a car load of ppl would probably see them split

mggd, Jan 10, 8:00pm
Do yourself a favor & dump em.

kazbanz, Jan 10, 9:29pm
robotnic-those tyres are foobarred.
Sorry to do propeller head on you but the date stamp is only one concideration regarding tyres.
how they were stored and how they were used also makes quite a big difference.

robotnik, Jan 10, 9:52pm
OK thanks chaps. Too bad as there is a good 1/4" of meat on the main part of these tyres. They also passed a WOF at VTNZ quite recently. I'll replace them.

andrewcg53, Jan 11, 1:27am
Dump them

kokako14, Jan 11, 1:31am
Surprise surprise

kazbanz, Jan 11, 1:57am
Sorry mate but in this case I wouldn't be tossing blame at VTNZ just yet. (9not that you are)
The tyres might have looked perfect at WOF then with a bit of driving the cracks begin and open up.

oversize, Jan 11, 2:11am
I wouldn't want them on any vehicle I was driving or in.

catwoman1974, Jan 11, 3:27am
Just fill the cracks with black silicon

robotnik, Feb 16, 4:12pm
You guys should quit with the sarcasm, people come here for advice on automotive problems and not for smarty pants retorts.