Rust formation

maxi090605, Aug 22, 11:11am
Though it's a 96 model vehicle, what's the best way to slow the rust down from taking over the body, esp. the door edges?

Would you recommend using rush converted on small spots then just touching up with paint, or just spray with WD-40?

Might as well sell it and get a newer model?

cheers

budgel, Aug 22, 11:31am
Maybe some other doors from a similar vehicle.

bjmh, Aug 22, 7:46pm
what sort of vehicle,do you live by the sea,is the vehicle garaged, also is the colour white. Neil Young sang rust never sleeps. in my experience its true.

kazbanz, Aug 22, 9:14pm
maxi--best way is to get rid of the rust and repaint,.

2sheddies, Aug 22, 9:18pm
Agree. once it starts, you're forever chasing it, as fast as you fix one bit, it's going somewhere else.

bill-robinson, Aug 23, 7:02am
turn it into a race car. it will get quicker as it lightens itself

maxi090605, Aug 23, 9:31am
It's an SUV, far from sea but car is parked under sun all year long.

bjmh, Aug 23, 9:34pm
if you can . get a torch and have a look up under the dash around the foot pedal area . also check under the bonnet . up where the guards meet the bulkhead . if you find the same rust signs ,its an indication that its prevalent. you can slow it down with your wd40 .Any vehicle not garaged will deteriorate quicker .I bet if you took the door inner trims off and looked at the inside area of the doors ,you would see more.

maxi090605, Aug 24, 10:34am
Yes, you are right on the money, I checked the driver door hinge and the rust looked like it can't be done by a simple WD40, rust too thick. I'm going to see if Septone Rust Converter can do some preventive maintenance before I spray paint. I just don't want to replace this SUV, I never ever had any problems with this other than cosmetics issue, and a bit wary to buy a cheaper import.

bjmh, Aug 24, 7:42pm
I have used a Wattyl paint called "killrust" . clean off the flaky scale then a wire brush in a drill. then paint.It won't be the prettiest,but it slows down surface rust.

intrade, Aug 25, 2:47am
is the rust from outside or inside out?
you need to treat both sides to stop the rust .

maxi090605, Aug 27, 9:51pm
@intrade, not sure about the inside, can't see. But outside, bubble starting to show, and some spots are prominent than others because of paint chipping and rust showing.

elect70, Aug 28, 3:29am
Dont all new car bodies go through a rust proof dip at assembly . or is it thing of past ? i remember Mitsi making big issue over it when new plant at Porirua opened as the only 1 in NZ to dip treat car bodies .

tgray, Aug 28, 3:48am
Yes, but it's 19 years old and they are looking for a more 'fiscally thrifty' way of dealing with it.

melonhead1, Aug 28, 3:50am
The only way is to keep cutting it out and replacing the metal. You'll rebuild your car around itself but its the only way.

geedubu, Aug 28, 8:40am
I have had success using POR15. Had an XJS Jag that was sucking up so much money on electrical repairs that nothing was left over for bodywork. a bit of light preparation as per instructions on some rusting edges; coat with POR15 as it said on the can and it held up very well. Best rust-stopper paint I've ever used in a lifetime of dodgy cars.

maxi090605, Sep 3, 6:57am
seen this on telly ad, i think it's Hyundai dipping chassis before paint.

maxi090605, Sep 3, 6:59am
think id rather spend a gran on body redo than spend 4k additional on buying a replacement SUV.

grangies, Sep 4, 12:26am
Well a fat lot of good that done, as they still rusted to bits LOL.

kazbanz, Aug 1, 5:11pm
Forgive me ifffn Im teaching gramma to suck eggs BUT.
NONE of the measures you are suggesting are a corrosion preventative.
They might slow things down--probably will but won't stop the rust.
To stop it you have to cut it out. Be that simply sanding back to shiney clean metal or be it cutting out and replacing metal. One thing you can be sure of. Like a pimple the bit of the rust you can see will just be the surface.There will be a lot more under the surface.