Hatchback suggestions - 5 Star Safety Rating pls

Page 2 / 2
tamarillo, May 23, 5:35am
Great, and thanks for letting us know. Enjoy

msigg, May 23, 5:38am
Yes as above good to get that feedback. Happy motoring.

vtecnet, May 23, 6:38am
Excellent, that model seemed to tick all the boxes in your first post, will only cost $135 a year to License/Reg too, (from July)

akaroa, May 25, 12:24am
Confirming that the VW Golf Mk5 has great head and leg room for tall people. Today I had a 6ft2 front seat passenger with a 6ft5 back seat passenger directly behind him. Both were completely comfortable with room to spare.

thejazzpianoma, May 25, 11:06am
Akaroa, if you see this and would like a run down on what servicing needs to be checked on your new Golf and some handy tips to avoid expensive problems, feel free to give me a yell. The Golf is a great car and very reliable, but you do need to make sure the manufacturers service recommendations are undertaken and the correct fluids are used. Many garages won't even realise what's required, so it pays to be savy and aware of the traps yourself if you can. Enjoy!

Oh, and please post which engine your car has and also how many km's on the clock when you return. Thanks!

akaroa, May 27, 9:46am
Thank for the offer @thejazzpianoma - it's a 2007 Golf FSI (is there anything else to say about the engine?) and has done 16000km.

stevo2, May 27, 6:02pm
Congrats. 16,000km or 160,000km?

akaroa, May 29, 9:31pm
Only 16,000km and it is verified.

brapbrap8, May 29, 10:07pm
Has it had the cambelt changed then? Otherwise it would be well overdue now.

thejazzpianoma, May 30, 9:18am
Yes, we need to know if it's the 1.6 or 2.0. If 2.0 it will be way overdue for a timing belt change, and you can just about guarantee the dealer didn't mention that or even worse pretended that there is only a km limit (when there is a time component as well).

There are also some other important things you need to be aware of and check.

Probably the most important is to make sure you ALWAYS run it on high octane fuel. Ideally BP Ultimate 98, but 95 will do in a pinch if 98 is not available, never ever 91. Also in my opinion you should never ever run those motors on any sort of biofuel mix such as sold at Gull. This last part is super critical, you only need to do it once to risk serious problems.

Don't be put off by this, the flip side is those motors are designed to utilise the properties of very high octane fuel to give you phenomenal fuel economy. Even though the fuel is dearer your economy savings will far outweigh that extra per litre cost.

Happy motoring.

tlng, Aug 25, 9:35am
Off topic sorry, but how reliable is the Smart For four? I heard that they have major issues with gearboxes.