Help with Vehicle alarm.want to charge Battery!

kristall, Jan 4, 8:13am
My Vehicle, a Toyota Townace Camper has been sitting idle for a couple of weeks, so needs its very flat battery charged. It had an after market alarm system installed when I purchased the vehicle, I think it is a Dynatron model, and I thought the alarm would be deactivted when taking the battery terminal fittings off. However, the alarm keeps going off when the positive and/or negative are removed. Have taken every fuse out as thought it would be on one of them, but alas it must have a back up battery in the alarm itself. Can anyone please tell me how to disable it. I really need to charge the battery! Thanks for any help.

jmma, Jan 4, 8:17am
Just charge the battery in place (o:

kristall, Jan 4, 8:29am
Thanks jmma, but I looked in my Toyota handbook and it says the earth/negative must be removed when charging the battery, but when I do that the alarm goes off:(

2get1, Jan 4, 8:40am
Leave battery connected, I've never disconnected one to charge. The alarm will have a key like switch on the siren, it's called a valet switch. It will have a special key. That will override the backup battery and shut the thing up

kristall, Jan 4, 9:08am
2get1, can you please tell me where the sirens are generally placed and where the valet switch may be and what it looks like. and a special key? where on earth would I find one of those?

2get1, Jan 4, 9:13am
Usually when you buy a car with an alarm the special alarm key would be on the key ring with the ignition key. They vary in what they look like. They look more like a cheap safe key or a steering wheel lock key, than a car ignition key. The siren is usually placed somewhere you can't easily see them. That's if it's been done by a good installer.

I would just reconnect the car battery. And charge the battery with the battery connected. Just make sure you turn the cars ignition off with the key and being a camper make sure all the appliances are turned off.

I have charged many vehicles including my own camper and have never disconnected the battery.

kazbanz, Jan 4, 9:26pm
kristall--your alarm has battery backup. That means the alarm itself has a battery for the situation where a thief removes the battery lead to steal the car.
The hassle is that a flat battery gives the alarm the exact same information.
You can't turn the alarm off -that is what it is there for.
Incidently you may not be aware but an alarm DOES slowly flatten the battery in any vehicle. In theory the draw in miniscule but I've found dynatron stuff can be a bit hungrier on the battery than other alarms.
The siren you hear though CAN be turned off by using the key -it goes in the side othe siren casing. The alarm is still stopping the car being driven but no noise.

barbuzz, Mar 20, 5:38pm
Take out the indicator bulb.