Rust on the chassis rail seam

alibobo, Nov 10, 9:15pm
hey guys, not sure if it actually is the chassis rail, but i've had a look at quite a few cars recently they are jap imports, they all have rust on that seam where you would normally jack up your car with a jack. On all of them the seam was damaged i imagine been put on a hoist incorrectly? and because that seam was bent etc. it had rusted some of them it looked really bad but they all had WoFs and a couple of them had recently been through compliance. So i was just wondering is this not a serious problem to have rust on that seam?

budgel, Nov 10, 9:43pm
A thin film of surface rust would not be a problem, more substantial rust would.

jumpingstone, Nov 11, 1:49am
Is it Mazda? I bought fresh Japanese import car about 4 years ago. First I was thinking Mazda Premacy or MPV and visited many car yards. All of those had some signs of starting rust. I ended to buy to Toyota Estima and still after 4 years no sign of rust. Just recently one my friend asked me to come to have look one Mazda Demio she was interested to buy. Fresh import from Japan and and already many seams shoved signs of rusting.

elect70, Nov 11, 2:20am
If it has to go through compliance it will be rejected , any rust deemed structural has to be repaired by certified engineer & certiicate issued . A over zealous WOF inspection could result in same $$$

kazbanz, Nov 11, 3:51am
Op--you mean the seam AT the jacking point or at another place nearby?
if its AT the jacking point then to be honest its most likely just broken paint allowing corrosion. Im betting if you look at ANY jap car -kiwi new or import there will be corrosion there. Most common cause is tyre changers THAT said.-a DECENT two post hoist has rubber lift pads.

stornello, Nov 11, 4:33am
Yes, not damaged on a hoist, but by a floor jack under the sill.

alfred011, Nov 11, 9:40am
The cars could be coming from a cold place where salt or a similar product is used to stop ice on the roads.

kazbanz, Oct 27, 5:24pm
stornello--exactly what I thought.