Mazda atenza 05-07, any common issues?

Page 1 / 2
fordluva, Aug 6, 3:52am
Looking at purchasing one of these, will be looking at 2.3 models with the 5 stage tiptronic, most likely a 23s, are there any common faults with these I should look out for? only heard good things about them so far.

stevo2, Aug 6, 4:00am
No issues that I'm aware of but a couple on this board say they are prone to corrosion in bottom of doors. Once again I have never seen it.
If it is true I suspect they would be minimal in number and coming from the salted roads of Northern Japan.

thunderbolt, Aug 6, 4:40am
Search Mazda 6 using the search function on the left. plenty of discussion over the last year.
Google Mazda 6 rust issues. seems to be still an issue in the years you have listed

thejazzpianoma, Aug 6, 4:40am
Rust, often really bad in hidden places, and not just the bottom of doors. This is a serious Mazda problem of that age group in general. It's by no means rare or confined to a few cars or ones from just certain area's. Even cars that have been meticulously cared for and kept in dry sheds from new can suffer. Go and ask a few panelbeaters!

As much as I liked the Mazda's of the 80's and 90's having any rust on a car of that sort of age (2000's) is totally unacceptable in this age of galvanising. Competitors bodyshell's will last many decades without problem. Nissan is the other (mighty one who has fallen) to avoid for rust, and terrible build quality as well.

The transmission also doesn't have the greatest reputation in the Atenza.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 6, 4:51am
Incidentally, as a fun little experiment. Do a google image search for "Mazda 6 rust" then compare what you get with a search for "VW Golf rust" or any of the Mazda's other quality competitors. You will find with the likes of the galvanised golf that the only late model rusty ones are ones where people have deliberately sanded the metal bare to make them look "rat".

The rusty Golf's you do find, that look like the Mazda examples are from over 20 years ago when they didn't galvanise them.

monaro17, Aug 6, 5:10am
They are fine vehicles. As with any car just look for a well cared for example. Don't be put of by scaremongerers. If you could find a Mazda 6 (in particular a GSX or LTD model) that would be a safer bet

stevo2, Aug 6, 5:19am
Ok Done that. 1st image that came up was a 2014 Golf http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4105

jenifa, Aug 6, 5:36am
Yep ive owned an Atenza wagon and had no problems. Another option is the Honda Accord. Im the owner of a Type-S wagon and loving it. They are 5 speed also.

msigg, Aug 6, 5:38am
They are great cars, easy to drive and economical, very popular, Don't worry about the troll in post 4, he is trying to sell you a VW, stevo has hit the nail on the head.

jmma, Aug 6, 5:56am
Funny, Thought it was Nissans that rusted and Mazdas were good cars (o:

thejazzpianoma, Aug 6, 6:10am
Very funny, here is the link for those incapable of operating google image search.

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=vw+golf+rust&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMI0afE9aORxwIVYmCmCh14CQsS&biw=1600&bih=789 and the mazda search

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=mazda+6+rust&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CBwQsARqFQoTCMrCoaikkccCFQNjpgodnW8Bow&biw=1600&bih=789

By the way, given the ingrained trolling and idiocy on the boards. I would suggest you will find a better opinion on the rust in these vehicles by strolling in to a few panel beaters and asking. (Not much point in asking panel beaters in here because they are likely part of the circle jerk in crowd)

curlcrown, Aug 6, 6:33pm
Will you ever stop with your BS? A slight but of surface rust on the bottom of the doors on a Mazda 6 is the only problem anyone can think of. VW golf common problems? My posts would become longer than yours.

fordluva, Aug 7, 5:51am
thanks for the replies people, yes we have decided to go for one, I am confident we have made the right choice, although I will be taking Jazz's comments into account when viewing the car, I guess theres only one way to find out.

kazbanz, Aug 7, 6:02am
Fordluva- IMO they are a fantastic vehicle.
BUT-have a read of the thread by Mopsy
Their son didn't do due diligence and it bit them.
Easy due diligence on a fresh import is to ask to see the auction sheet and the compliance sheet.
That will pretty fast tell you if iits an accident car
Then ASK for an AA PP inspection.
See what kind of reaction you get from the salesman.
That costs you not one red cent but will tell you a lot
I would then get YOUR mechanic to do a full PP inspection.
Good luck

berg, Aug 7, 6:50am
Unfortunately the BS floweth freely from this one. Every time someone suggests anything other than a VAG product the crapola doth run

gunhand, Aug 7, 6:56am
Ive been in the panel and paint game way longer than these cars have been around, haven't done rust in one yet, or seen it even.
However, it is disturbing to see rusty stains etc on quite new models (many brands) and some not so new but still young enough not (or shouldn't) to have it.

lookoutas, Aug 7, 7:10am
I posted on here last night - but someone mustn't have liked it, or perhaps I just forgot to click post. Probably just as well.

I guess there's a few who just get peeved-off with this Towrag for all occasions stuff. I quite like having a stir, but nothing serious like some are reacting. And I tend to take it all with a grain of salt until I'm dumped in a "Jerk" basket.
I've had the threat of a yellow card waved at me for less than that, but I'm not so narrow minded to even bother wasting time going down that shit-stirring path.

Remember those courses I did?
One of the responses I learnt from them is to thank anyone who fires a broadside, and move on, because they've just proved they're not worth it.

"Thankyou jazz."

To the subject:-
Considering the years of the cars OP asked about - I have never seen evidence of bad rust in them since those dates. I can see that those ones in the link have obviously been effected by salt. So unless someone has been driving a car on the beach, these conditions don't apply here.
But fordluva is in the Naki tho. Beaches, wind blown sea mist and cow shit on the roads. All are bad for rust, so check that out.
Good idea to search for a car inland, or Canterbury.

Not many will know what happened on the 10th July 1967, but as I had started my apprenticeship 3 days earlier, it seemed to be an appropriately unforgettable date to fill out and sign the papers.
I realise there's a sabbatical in between, but the tools never get left alone. Especially with me doing 70+K a year of hard driving.

Edit:- I don't regard myself as a jerk panelbeater.

lookoutas, Aug 7, 7:22am
Thought I should add.

The best Jazz Piano Man I ever knew was my uncle who lived in Tauranga, and he died yesterday.
Towrag peace might have come at last.

ryanm2, Aug 7, 7:26am
We had one for a few weeks (2006, 2.3s wagon) as a loan. Found it really thirsty , even compared the 2007 2.5 Subaru Outback we had.

meow_mix, Aug 7, 7:32am
For once I think Jazz's earlier post about the rusty Mazdas is right. There was an in-depth thread a few months ago about the Atenza/6's rust problems. It appears they rust quite badly in the seems/joins on the body shell, one poster went into detail about how they did a poor job in that area, as well as rust on the doors and other areas.

It really put me off the Mazda Atenza/6 which I never really liked anyway because of the cheappo looking boyracer style headlights and taillights. I couldn't really recommend buying one when there are better alternatives out there like the Honda Accord, Mitsubishi 380 or Subaru Legacy.

stevo2, Aug 7, 8:48am
I remember the day well. That is the day NZ adopted decimal currency. $$$$

jmma, Aug 7, 9:08am
I was a Dollar Scholar or something like that (o:

sr2, Aug 26, 4:44am
I've had Mrs sr2 in a NZ new 2005 Mazda 6 for a couple of years and it's been a great choice. I've had a good look at the body with it on the hoist and have even popped a few interior panels to investigate further, at 118,000 km there is absolutely no sign of corrosion?

Likes; good value for money, good power, great gearbox, exceptional climate control, factory stereo is great, very easy to service, average to good open road driveability and handling.

Dislikes; the ride is a little harsher and noisier than you'd expect, it's typical Jap with too much power steering and over-boosted brakes, limited rear vision when reversing.

tgray, Aug 26, 5:00am
Personally, I have found plenty of rust issues with Honda's and Nissan's but not with Mazda's.

_peas, Aug 26, 6:52am
I am a Subaru convert. The Mrs has just got a Mazda Axela. Switching between the two the Mazda feels cheap and plastic. Interior lights look like a child designed them. I guess it comes down to what you like. If you haven't already bought a Atenza then I would take a 3.0R Legacy of the same era for a drive and see how you like it. 5sp auto trans. Mine averaged 8l/100km on a 1000km road trip round the North Island and it returns about 12l/100km around town.