SRS Light reset

Page 1 / 3
greateft, Jul 17, 10:54am
Hi all - my SRS light came on so after some research I gritted my teeth and took my '97 Legnum VR4 into a Mitsubishi dealership. $80 later it was diagnosed as having a faulty clock spring, quoted $700 to replace. I replaced it with one off Trademe. The light is still on, which with further research I discovered is normal as the fault code is retained until reset. Anyone know a place in Auckland or the Bay of Plenty to get this reset without being reamed for another $80? I love the car, had it over 5 years but I'd sooner set fire to it outside a Mitsubishi dealership than pay that money again to have them plug their @#$#@ proprietary machine into the proprietary MUT-II port to reset a pointless fault code that might even come back especially if they misdiagnosed it to begin with.

wind.turbine, Jul 17, 11:03am
wow really? the Mitsubishi dealer in whangarei only charged me $50 for reading an engine light code and clearing the code

kwikchange, Jul 17, 1:12pm
you will need to get it done, My commodore failed a wof for the srs light being on. Local auto sparkys all quoted the same price , $50 to scan originally then $150 to fit new Clock spring and clear codes. Try your Local auto sparkys

ml6989, Jul 17, 7:30pm
OP You need to understand that there are no free lunches when it comes to maintaining and running a motor vehicle. Did your research on the problem not suggest taking the offending bulb out to extinguish the SRS lamp?

intrade, Jul 17, 7:57pm
you could buy your own aftermarket mitsubishi oem scanner did you try disconnect the battery and turn on ignition and hold the brake pedal for 15 secounds and then reconnect the battery. i always see swaptrons on here recommend remove battery to clear codes on mitsubishis. for example on a 95 corolla you do that also i would let the bttery off for 30 minutes as it could take that long to discharge airbag capacitors , but having said all this if you replaced the clock spring you should have the battery off anyhow befor you remooved the steering wheel to replace the clock spring whom connects the airbag to the steering wheel column thingy .

greateft, Jul 17, 11:12pm
Thanks all for replying - ml6989, no suggestion it should cost nothing, but $80 to clear a code that takes less than a minute and isn't relevant anymore is a ripoff. Plus, I could have to do it again twice if it turns out it wasn't the clock spring and the code was false. I don't just want the lamp off, I want the airbag to be operable and to know if faults occur in the future. Cheers intrade, did remove the battery but the fault code was set by the faulty clock spring prior to replacement. Researched around the place (ClubVR4, etc), consensus is that SRS system has its own nonvolatile memory that can only be reset by scanner. Not willing to spend upwards of $3k getting a MUT-compatible scanner for one job on one car worth less than that. Still looking to find out if EvoScan can reset it, that's about $150 worth. Checked with some auto sparkys, they plugged in their scantools and they didn't work (presumably OBD-II only), which is why I went to the dealer.

intrade, Jul 18, 1:34am
What scanner did the sparky -? obd 2 is only emission stuff you can do squat with only that if its not emission related
i have a obd2 only tool unicarscan from the original maker of the elm chip to look at fuel-trim as fuel is emission and thats the only thing it is good for for temp sensor rpm and fueling issues the obd2 global emission only.

intrade, Jul 18, 1:42am
question is do you keep owning mitsubishis?
and do you want to learn, keep in mind you might have to step outside of what you know and start fresh for learning things propperly.
because i sortof figure now why there is so much swaptron morons fixing cars. it makes a bit of sense now after i purchased 3 volume of asian autodata diagnostic manuals.

greateft, Jul 18, 1:53am
Don't know the specifics of the scanner, just that it didn't work with the MUT-2/3 protocol even though the connector's the same as OBD2. The full OBD2 protocol has a lot of information as standard and is extensible (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki-
/On-board_diagnostics) but yeah, in practical everyday use its emissions and that's about it. I'm not even sure if the SRS modules are on the main CAN or whether there's yet another tool for that specifically.

greateft, Jul 18, 2:00am
I'm not going to own another Mitsubishi for a while, my next vehicle's going to be a ute and I don't want a Triton. They all went OBD2 later on anyway, I think only the trucks are on MUT-3. I'm not sure what you mean by "swaptron moron" but if the choice is between paying literally half the car's value for a dealer to replace a part, scrapping the car over a minor issue, or using secondhand parts and using a bit of effort to try and get it going I'm going to give option 3 a go every time.

intrade, Jul 18, 2:19am
srs is never on a can bus plus these old cars did not have any can
the srs system is its own independend system and the only wire to talk to the dlc is for diagnostic oem level as it is not emission related
Manufaturer must include emission stuff, anything else they are free to include or not. so you have to assume they did not include it unless it is 100% emission related. Gearbox codes on nissan are not emission so they are wrong and missleading via a obd2 generic scantool
that is what its called generic obd2 = emission only as must be able to be extracted.

intrade, Jul 18, 2:27am
what plug do you have just obd2 or both?
http://www.troublecodes.net/mitsu/

intrade, Jul 18, 2:44am
here you go dont kill your self 194 pages for you to read and i would say evoscan can do airbags but be a waste of money if you dont buy more mitsubishis.
http://www.evoscan.com/manuals/Evo9/GR00005500-52B.pdf

greateft, Jul 18, 2:50am
Ok I'm with you there - I have a plug that fits my ELM327 clone and the sparkys' scantools but won't talk to it. I don't know of any other data connector on the vehicle, but the dealer must have connected to it somehow as they retrieved the fault code relating to the airbag.

greateft, Jul 18, 2:51am
The EvoScan 1.3U product page states it doesn't do SRS, which sucks as $157 (including software) is a reasonable investment even if this is my last mitsubishi.

intrade, Jul 18, 2:56am
yea if you look in the manual it shows the tool.
my launch android scanner can probably read the fault code
read the whole manual i think if a fault is fixed the light would go out but not sure you read the 194 pages and tell me after i got other stuff to learn .

greateft, Jul 18, 3:00am
Sure will tuck into it tonight, cheers

intrade, Jul 18, 3:10am
if you come to whangarei i am rather sure my scantool will reset your srs light , it might be back straight away do who knows , i dont even see why it would stay on if the problem is fixed.
if you would want the same scantool as i have it would cost you about US$
i paid 120$ for it and then 66$ per car software updates free for 12 month . but it has about the worlds worst support you could think off. if you got a android phone you can download the tool and use the whats it called ah yea demo that works without the hardware to demonstrate only logically you skip bluetooth pairing demo v14.73 is latest demo.
you can see srs there. in menu .
i got some videos on youtube about it the latest problem is now gone with update parsing error as they updated it in the app store but the rest is still like in my review video on youtube.

greateft, Jul 18, 3:44am
Cool, what's it called? I'm a little far from you (moved to Tauranga) but if there's a good chance it'll work $180 may be my best bet short of buying a new car.

intrade, Jul 18, 4:01am
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cnlaunch.x431idiag
its called idiag i also have youtube review of it. the parsing error is now fixed just download the app and have a tinker with the demo . no hardware required for demo and logically your not going to get real data its just fictional the demo i hope that part is clear?
it also only works with the idiag launch dongle you see some moron complain about it further down . umm yea . well brain switch to ON might help that guy

greateft, Jul 18, 4:18am
Hmm, sounds good but I'll have to make absolutely sure it works with the VR4 since that price turns out to be in $USD - so closer to the $300 mark. I'd hate to blow that cash and find out it doesn't work.

intrade, Jul 18, 4:30am
can you see my comment on there?
i wont know if it works or not for your car its why i do free scanns to find out how much oem stuff i can do with it . i be in taumarunui soon got to use my ski season pass ;)
i got all asians and updating always worked for me , dacia is currently out of date for updates , that was the verry first software i purchased was the dacia. i could comand windscreen wipers on disable injectors run the fuelpump run the evap canister purge, relearn the drive by wire throttle everything but the rear wiper that one did not turn on with the idiag and its early dacia software. for diesel i told me thresh hold dpf reaching limmit . told my mate you dont drive it far enough , so he went to holland to buy another old motor bike frame for his collection ,, haha to clear the dpf on the german autobahn.

intrade, Jul 18, 4:50am
another thing i used to hate mitsubishi and the reasons are
poor quality electronics failing capacitors inside computers was most times the cause of a mitsubishi problem along with other poor sensor and wiring quality. these days all manufacturer operate at that level 2005 onwards making mitsubishi one of the good cars , or all sunk to the same low cheap quality what ever way you look at it.
So the airbag controller could also be what sets codes if its internally faulty somehow.

a.woodrow, Jul 18, 6:42am
Don't want to pay 3K+ for the scanner the dealer has yet get all salty when they want to charge out a decent price to recoup the costs on it

ml6989, Jul 18, 8:16am
Well written!