How did the van 'lock brakes'?

Page 1 / 2
robotnik, Jan 28, 4:09am
This news report about the tourist who had his keys confiscated on the Lindis Pass, says the van locked its brakes, but how is that possible in a vehicle equipped with ABS?

Another report says the tourist's car was a Kia Carnival, which unless it is fairly old probably has ABS.

Report 1:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/65503624/tourist-stranded-by-vigilante-fined-1000-for-poor-driving Report 2, which mentions the type of vehicle driven. http://www.odt.co.nz/regions/central-otago/331342/lindis-pass-tourist-driver-fined

skull, Jan 28, 4:19am
It probably happened in the mind of the driver.

bigfatmat1, Jan 28, 8:43am
Heaps of vehicles don't have abs.

gammelvind, Jan 28, 8:46am
My Transit has ABS and under pressure I can get small lockups out of it, nothing to worry about but thinking about it if one was really stupid and pushed it to an extreme it would "lockup".

intrade, Jan 28, 9:10am
well if the abs has a malfunction then the abs simply wont work. and if it is a intermittend fault that was present when the brakes are used. it will lock up like any vehicle with no abs

timmo1, Jan 28, 10:35pm
Could have been referring to the other car which had to pull off the road.

supernova2, Jan 28, 10:43pm
As I read that report its the vigilante who said the brakes locked. How the hell would he know that? I think he saw the "foreign face" and just lost the plot.

ema1, Jan 28, 11:15pm
http://www.tiepie-automotive.com/en/Articles/Diagnostics/KIA_Carnival_anti_lock_brake_system_problem

Amazing some of the idiotic things that "foreign face" types do and the accidents they have down this neck of the woods, the hype about foreigners being involved in an un proportionate percentage of accidents is a legitimate one going by what I've seen on roads in my district over the last decade or so.
Classic example I came across was a mini bus full of "Foreign Faces" all over one side of that mini bus with digi camera's but dig this bit even the driver, I was in a 10ton truck and this 'B' mini bus forced me and a couple of cars off into the gravel road edge which luckily was right there,bugger it all and when I stopped I saw the mini bus traveling with the white centre line still under his diff ?
I don't even reckon he even saw me at all, if he hit me my truck would have been rather un forgiving and I'd hate to think what the result would have been?
Thank god I'm retired now and don't have to face the likes anymore from day to day driving.
I rang the cops and apparently the bus was nabbed nearer to Cromwell and read the riot act, driver was charged I believe.
White lines, yellow lines and road rules plus speed limits mean diddly squat and total inattention when driving plus failure to keep left is rife down here, particularly around Queenstown area.
Frankly I condone the action of the key taking motorist in this case given the nature of the offending and the nature of the area where it occurred, actually it isn't the first dangerous incident involving fatal smashes that was caused by foreigners in that locality !

ema1, Jan 29, 12:25am
Adding to post #8
I can recall over the last 4 years 6 smashes of which 4 were fatal ones in our area three of those were multiple fatalities all Asian folk at FAULT incidentally.
Recently 3 were killed shown in these links I saw the result of that one, bloody horrible .
Reading the whole of the 2nd link is pretty sobering and self explanatory !

http://www.odt.co.nz/regions/central-otago/322752/motorists-regard-luggate-intersection-caution http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11355146 This one in the Lindis Pass area just over 2 years ago caused by a Chinese 20year old woman driver= 2 motorcyclists killed, wasn't far away from the incident this tread is about. http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/news/8002676/Road-Knight-killed-in-crash
This one at Cromwell was a multiple fatality too and the folks involved were Asians working in the area. Two dead in this one as well,the driver died instantly and a female passenger died in hospital later I saw the result of that one about an hour after it happened. horrible to see! http://www.odt.co.nz/regions/central-otago/194389/lower-speed-limit-intersection That's only 3 smashes locally and 7 dead and there are others I know of haven't found links to.
While going to Te Anau in my truck I came on this smash about 30mins after it happened with the emergency services blocking the road about 7km from Mossburn for about a couple of hours, 3 helicopters and a fleet of ambulances and personal attending to the injured from an overturned tourist bus, passengers all Asian as was the driver.
More bad luck than anything that one was?
Roads at the time were icy and plenty of warnings were posted by signs and over radio broadcasts that I heard on my radio.
It's a wonder there weren't more accidents as folks were traveling far to fast for the conditions that day.
I saw several cars that had come to grief between that bus accident and arriving in Te Anau that day, I stopped at road blocks for them as well long day that turned out to be?
http://www.3news.co.nz/nznews/tourists-hospitalised-after-te-anau-bus-crash-2012070517#axzz3QAGxYhbC

ema1, Jan 29, 12:42am
Below is another link to the Cromwell Intersection fatal smash mentioned in last post. 2 in total died in this, one instantly , one later in hospital.
http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/one-dead-three-others-fighting-life-after-serious-crash-4684796 Here's another down in Southland less than a year ago, Asians involved yet again? http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?ID=181570
There are far too many others . pity !
I've seen my fair share of them I can tell you, don't care to see anymore either.

elect70, Jan 29, 2:41am
Yep car rental agency warned me about " mad asians" whenI went down for the Highlands 101 , there had been a big accident involving tourist that day

smac, Jan 29, 6:07am
NZTA (or MOT, I forget) have published stats on this before due to the constant media beat-ups. Tourist crash rates are actually statistically low (i.e. crash number per number on road etc).

Don't fall into the trap of thinking something in the news is actually news worthy.

ema1, Jan 29, 6:45am
NZ Wide that is true but locally in our touristy area very much a major factor so I'm afraid to inform you, there's no way of denying that fact in Central Otago and Southland/Fiordland.
NO TRAP smac it's a sad fact down here and talking of traps it's a pity that many Asian tourists fall into them. period.
3 crashes alone with 7 fatalities ain't low in my book as an instance along with many many others locally seem to be of the multiple kind.
smac you need to live and drive on the tourist routes down here for a year or two and I'll bet you'll change your tune on that one.
The news reports on such down here is mighty accurate I can tell you!
I have several close Asian friends and they express utter dismay at the carnage in our area, a couple of them were friends of one killed in Cromwell a couple of years back, that's 1st hand experience enough as well as seeing the result of that particular accident prior to the "clean up" when on my way home from Wanaka!
I saw the one at Luggate Hill as well about 20mins after it happened and had to be diverted from the scene.
Hellish stuff really.

smac, Jan 29, 6:54am
Your area is loaded with foreign drivers, so of course crashes involving foreign drivers are going to be higher. However where's the numbers to back up that it's actually a more significant proportion?

(don't get me wrong, you might be right for your given area - I'm just curious to see if anyone has actually done the numbers)

Also, rather than there being 'no way to deny' anything on ANY issue, it's a far more valid discussion to see a point proven true, rather than anyone having to prove an unproven point false.

ema1, Jan 29, 6:59am
500 (493 to be exact) accidents involving tourists including fatal ones between 2009-2013 I would consider serious and way out of proportion.
Proof. and I have read official data as well stating the same.
Pity that the "news hype" as you call it wasn't actually taken notice of really, how the hell else do you enlighten folks what's happening, the head in the sand thing doesn't cut it with me I'm afraid. period.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11355146
P.S. Witnessing the results of more than one of the above mentioned smashes and having close Asian friends who lost one of their friends in the Cromwell fatal accident brings it home alarmingly clear smac, those accidents sure as hell ain't "FALSE" !
Numbers. to damn high full stop. it's not a number crunching exercise it's a people crunching exercise that needs to be addressed. numbers nah that doesn't cut it.
Only thing with numbers . they are too damn high . period.

ema1, Jan 29, 7:16am
Cut & Paste to clarify. from post #15
500 (493 to be exact) accidents involving tourists including fatal ones between 2009-2013 I would consider serious and way out of proportion.

That's in Central Otago and Southland areas only !

stockyz, Jan 29, 7:20am
i would like to know how the police charged him,took him to court and he was found guilty and fined $1000 all without any police officer having witnessed the incident in question(genuine question)

ema1, Jan 29, 7:28am
Tyre skid data etc at scene would be enough to charge the offender.
I was through there a day later and the evidence was all marked out.
Doesn't need a police officer to witness any incident or don't you know that, evidence on road and of other witnesses if there were some would have been more than sufficient.
Police at the time would have interviewed all the passengers and the guy who grabbed the keys and driver when they were taken back to Cromwell etc, the driver of the rental the keys were taken from was apologetic apparently, this would be evidence enough probably confessed.
The rental company cancelled the rental contract then and there on grounds of evidence & on police advise.

smac, Jan 29, 8:01am
I'm guessing the fact he pleaded guilty has a little bit to do with the court finding him guilty.

trouser, Jan 29, 8:18am
Seen Indians driving in India. They are very fatalistic believing that if you hit and kill someone it was just their time to die. Crazy to say the least.

ema1, Jan 29, 9:08am
smac wrote.
Well no, that's my point, 493 is a meaningless number and doesn't say anything about proportion without knowing how many total ,and the comparable numbers from other regions. Again, I'm not saying the numbers aren't there that prove this, I just want to see them.

It means a hell of a lot to me those numbers of accidents some fatal you just can't justify and if you say tourist accidents are a low percentage of the NZ total then that argument doesn't wash down this portion of the country, if the trend followed the national trends then I'd along with the authorities would be extremely grateful. sorry, Here's another one from last month in Canterbury and there percentage is higher than national wide figures as well due to the exact problem that this accident happened= proof positive, driver went to sleep NO EXCUSE FOR THAT AT ALL !
Looks like a late model Mercedes didn't save it's rear set unbelted passenger ?
Being unbelted is asking for trouble in that instance, they won't ever learn, funny thing is a lot of Asians down our way actually get done for not wearing seatbelts . go figure?
Govt sitting on hands. typical?
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11367725

ema1, Jan 29, 9:28am
smac wrote.
Well no, that's my point, 493 is a meaningless number and doesn't say anything about proportion without knowing how many total ,and the comparable numbers from other regions. Again, I'm not saying the numbers aren't there that prove this, I just want to see them.

Your statement is just splitting hairs , it might be meaningless to you, fact is it's happening and moves should happen to alleviate the occurrence full stop!
It sure as hell ain't meaningless to me smac, it shouldn't be to anyone frankly. period!

Here you go smac one reference to percentages of tourists involved with fatal accidents down south in my area. 20% mentioned here for Otago-Southland and that's too damn high. period !
Reason is most foreign tourists in NZ are down this way eventually?
Check lower down the link here.
This fatal one was up north involving a tourist.
http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/fatal-crash-tourist-behind-wheel-5986771

ema1, Jan 29, 9:48am
Check this out smac it's rather sobering and I know what I'm talking about here, I personally have seen too many tourist smashes some fatal.
Now you might understand what I'm on about. that says it all right there!
http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/246226/tourists-at-fault-in-crashes-report

Down here in winter time lots of tourists and townies haven't got a "snowballs show in hell" of understanding what winter conditions entail and they don't drive accordingly, I've seen that all to often in my driving career of nearly 45 years.
Rarely do locals get caught out I might say, interestingly enough?

ema1, Jan 29, 10:14am
Adding to post #23
My workplace before I retired was right beside a body repair shop and every winter the yard would be bursting full of winter related wrecks lots actually 4WD stuff with ski racks on them , same thing was evident in other towns in our district, I got to see some of them in my travels.
Example. I was heading south in my truck 4 winters ago and about 2 km north of Athol about 70km south of Queenstown I gingerly passed 7 yes you read right seven cars all upside down in a paddock within 50 meters of each other right on a shaded icy bend and guess what the local fire officer a client of mine said, "They all came to grief going too fast in the space of 10 minutes about an hour before I got there!", ambulances were still at the scene when I was directed past, 2 or 3 helicopters were carting injured away fortunately no fatalities that day down there.
All the cars most only a year up to brand new were rentals and all cleared a metre high fence without touching it. go figure,pretty conclusive if you ask me, another thing ALL yes EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM were TOURISTS!
I couldn't believe what I was seeing that day, hellish icy it was.
All those cars ( no vans/mini buses involved) were moved into the corner of the paddock and were there for a couple of weeks as I traveled down through there to Te Anau area weekly and saw them there.
All looked like write offs, pretty banged up they were.
Rarely do locals get caught out I might say, interestingly enough?

smac, Jan 29, 10:43am
ema1 you seem to be looking for a fight where there isn't one. I simply asked for some evidence to back up your assertions that tourist accidents are disproportionate in your region (once you clarified you meant your region, not nationwide). I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm requesting evidence/facts.

In providing the requested info you provided a link to an article that states:

"But in total overseas drivers were to blame for just over 8 percent of the nearly 5000 crashes which caused death or injury in Otago and Southland between 2009 and 2013."

So are tourist km's travelled above or below 8% in Otago and Southland?