How did the van 'lock brakes'?

Page 2 / 2
ema1, Jan 29, 11:58pm
8% of the FATAL accidents in Central Otago -Southland involved tourists !. did you read the rest that out of the 493 accidents 409 or 83% of ALL ACCIDENTS tourists were to blame in those accidents where INJURIES were involved.
I read it and understood it clearly.
The proportion of accidents tourists were involved (both fatal & injury ) was approx 20% of the total !
That is a lot higher than the low NZ % for sure, reason is most of those tourists end up down this region and their driving skills in a big % of cases are woeful to say the least, I was out there on the roads every day in the region in question until I retired and had first hand experience of it all including seeing the ugly results .

smac, Jan 30, 12:06am
I'm not sure you did.

They are saying that of the 493 crashes involving tourists, 83% were caused by tourists.

Sounds fair enough, considering a good number of those crashes would be single vehicle. Also consider some would be tourist hitting tourist, so of course those are tourist at fault. Take those points into account and you may well be back somewhere around 50%. Do we know? No, cause the right information is not in these stories to draw any meaningful conclusions.

ema1, Jan 30, 12:11am
That's interesting saying the single vehicle accident?
Very few were single type accidents most were multiple 2 vehicles or more and one lot I did witness an hour after it happened was 7 vehicles in the short space of time all tourist driven off the road in a paddock in various states of repair which I saw about 2km north of Athol?
No locals or NZ'ders in that lot and there was a fair amount of traffic on the road down that way on the day. go figure.
A fair number were in fact tourist hitting NZ folk minding their own business and traveling legally on the correct side of the road !
Lots of tourist accidents are due to fatigue and due to failing to keep left and worst of all NOT paying attention to the road rules and the driving job at hand. = rubber necking is rife down here,

smac, Jan 30, 12:13am
OK now you're just getting a bit silly. You know for a fact most of those 493 crashes were multiple vehicle? You say yourself the 7 cars drove off the road. That's a single vehicle crash. You've not providing ANY information that would validate any of your claims, and keep adding new claims. y'all have a nice day. Later.

ema1, Jan 30, 12:19am
Have it your way . for gods sake I live right in the middle of said area in question and have first hand experience of all the madness involving lots of tourists . and seeing far too many results of their indiscretions and stupidity.
Obviously that means diddly squat to your argument basis, my concern is to find a way of reducing or educating somehow to prevent as much of the carnage as possible. not arguing the toss with anyone on a numbers proving crusade!
Which camp are you in by the way?
By the way 7 cars going off the road in the short space of time in an area of black ice in a corner sure as hell ain't a single crash, more like 7 single crashes . all preventable !
Personally over the years I have driven with caution and with due care and attention, that sure hasn't done me any harm, pity more folks didn't drive with that in mind.
The main problem with tourists from overseas in the south island of NZ is they are generally too damn tired and wasted to go out get a rental car and drive immediately they get off a plane in either Christchurch or Queenstown, plus trying to fit in far to much driving in a short period of time available in lots of cases!
That's a major issue that needs to be addressed !

ema1, Jan 30, 12:42am
smac I'm dead sure your attitude would change dramatically if you lived and drove every day in our mad tourist area where nobody knows where they are going and folks tourists getting lost frequently etc, like in the vicinity of Queenstown or in Central Otago in summer or even more so in our winters like I had to for years on end until recently.
Frankly the density of traffic in say most north island citys and their environs would be way more than down here and that's why I and many others down here get alarmed at the sheer volume of tourist generated crash statistics in lighter traffic situations down here. there's something majorly wrong when that scenario is taken into account.
Low % of tourist accident figures NZ wide I believe for sure stats state that but in lighter traffic areas like down south why . why such a disparity?
That's what's got to be got to grips with?
Until the powers that be get off there arse and get proactive on this one, things sure as hell ain't going to change anytime soon, meanwhile folks will perish and who . it seams gives a toss. I DO.

headcat, Jan 30, 12:47am
And probably less money to be made than in our "safety" mania.

headcat, Jan 30, 12:54am
Now that you've retired, why not move to Auckland where you will be "safe" from foreign drivers. You had your opportunity to rid the roads of one, (your post #8) and blew it.

ema1, Jan 30, 12:59am
No thanks. funny man.
Auckland doesn't do me any favours, there's to many red neck locals doing mad acts (eg dubious lane changing etc) and half baked roading systems there to even hint at it being safe.
Besides I can go out on the roads at anytime I like now, not all the time when work dictated, preferably quieter times (not holiday times)of year when traffic flows are lower. my choice now.
Long distances I prefer to fly and use a rental if i want one.

kevlight, Jan 30, 7:09pm
. you state that ? to Emergency Responders ?
Unbelievable arrogance.
. i have have two very close calls last month both,tourists with GPS/Nav systems Car on cruise control,video cameras out window .
. the first one crossed the center line and crashed into a Contractor on the Geraldine- Fairlie Road i was two cars behind ,and stopped about 2ks before the 'accident' as i could see something bad about to happen ,i stopped to let the car move away from me, and to put some distance between me and him;
. I felt sorry for the girl in the car that had to swerve around both vehicles and ,end up in the ditch,
A multiple car crash with Tourist and contractor badly injured .
. Second crash was On Coach Road Pleasant Point he clipped the front bull Bar of the ute on the other side of the intersection, because he didnt stop for the stop sign , drove straight through at 100klm ,looked up from his Nav system and lost the plot trying to negotiate the dog leg intersection.
. that farmer in the ute is still recovering from the crash ,the tourist car flipped around and was still there ,on my return.
. My point is not that you care ! only for your % and statistics ?
is that us locals who drive those roads regularly for Work,are at real risk of death and injury from unskilled /inexperienced,tired, tourists ,who are injuring NZ s on our own local roads.
. its not fair or reasonable to have to put up with it .
. im bloody sure if we did the same thing in their country we would be arrested and held responsible.
. Rant over, but please do not try and diminish a very day life threating drive.

lookoutas, Jan 30, 8:56pm
Jeez - you guys are splitting hairs.
You wanta see the goings on through my back yard during the 'loopy' season. And they're not foreigners!

I can't see why that "goodie 2 shoes" didn't get a slap for taking the keys. It wasn't as if the driver was pissed or stoned. He took away their means of keeping warm, or cool. Whichever applied.

Harking to a mate of a mate of a family member, who discovered an intruder which he collared, and lucky for the ass-wipe, he decided to call the fuzz instead of dealing to him as severely as I know he would normally do.
The cops told him to hold little scumbag until they got there (eventually) and the scumbags defence turned the tables on him, and he was charged with kidnaping!
The cop denied all input to cover his arse, coz he found out he would've been in the crap for giving that directive!

Therefore, that guy taking the keys, committed theft.

Argue that one out.

ema1, Jan 30, 10:24pm
I'd say the driver of the vehicle and for that matter all the folks in that vehicle the keys were removed from can actually thank the person for his actions by being still alive.
That scenario could well have been another tourist crash statistic and I too can't believe the total arrogance of those (one in particular-smac) in taking a nit picky and a proving the numbers crusade and "evidence" etc etc to be presented to back up their weak as piss argument as against getting off their arse and being proactive in actually saying/doing something positive about the situation in our country.
That would appear to be the old "Well if it ain't affecting me- who cares attitude we so often see or hear in this country called 'Gods Own' !" The extent of it makes me 'B' sick to the core.
I'll say it again I CONDONE THE ACTIONS OF THE REMOVING OF THE KEYS from the vehicle that the offending driver had rented. Period and I won't change my mind on it either.
Better to be stuck on the Lindis Pass not moving in the middle of no where rather than possibly ending up being PART OF THE SCENERY along with god knows who he might have taken out as well?
He deserves a citation of a positive kind.
kevlight I agree with you completely and you -me on this one mate.
arrogance of some on here makes me shake my head all too often I'm afraid.

ema1, Jan 30, 10:50pm
I suppose doing nothing would have been OK in that situation especially when the guy who grabbed the keys DIDN'T have cell phone coverage to be able to alert the cops.
I say it almost comes into the citizens arrest territory then . right.
Doing something like what this guy did was good and the cops were eventually involved anyway so what's your beef.
If the boot was on the other foot and someone god forbid did get killed, how on hell could you live with that?
Aw I suppose it would get put into the tourist fatality or tourist accident category and if it doesn't affect me thing who cares.
That's the impression I get here.

lookoutas, Jan 31, 8:28pm
Hey - big up's for the wantabe cop, but I wouldn't do it.
Take details and report it, but ask any cop if we should play cop's and they will tell you "NO"

What if that vehicle was full of knife wielding scumbags? Wantabe wouldn't be so clever then!

That's why I paralleled the story of the guy apprehending the intruder. He was charged and fined something like $1600, and it went on his record. The little scumbag got PD, coz he had no money and already wouldn't pay the fines he had.

I wouldn't recommend being the next intruder he catches.

headcat, Feb 1, 6:55am

stevo2, Feb 1, 7:20am
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ema1, Feb 18, 5:40am
5 More "Overseas Tourists" killed on our roads I see, 4 yesterday.
1 today south of Christchurch seen it on TV1 News tonight.
Something is . WRONG out there for sure and when is any degree of "proactive" ideas going to happen ?
This year, next year , sometime never . springs to mind !

tamarillo, Feb 18, 7:18pm
Easy just happened to me. A witness statemt they believe is all they need to summons and if driver pleaded guilty they're done. Being in Aussie they likely did as appearing here is a bit expensive. Traffic court is held by JP not proper judge.

So next time you feel road rage, calm down, elaborate or invent the story, make a complaint and provide statement. If cops feel like it they'll gonahead and agree with you.mif you and cops agree the jp will find in their favour and you'll get much better revenge.
Well that's what happened to me anyway.

tamarillo, Jun 11, 2:08pm
h

Yes, I feel I shouldn't laugh, bad behaviour, but yes that bloody funny.