Utes with 3500kg Towing Capacity

bwg11, Aug 3, 3:50am
A rather sensible Australian piece about manufactures competitive 3500kg towing limits with 2000kg utes.

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2015/the-truth-about-3500kg-towing-52878?intref=sr-ed-news

mojo49, Aug 3, 5:10am
Finally reality bites. Like the article says, if you want to tow 3500kg get a LANDROVER DISCOVERY, just like the one I have for towing a 2000kg caravan. Since the mid 1990s' they have been manufactured with a factory/ manufacturer specified 3500kg drawbar. I have also used it to tow a second Disco I bought on a braked dual axle trailer. Well over 3000kg towed weight. Towed from Hobsonville to Hamilton. Smooth as all the way. Disco temp gauge never moved about the normal level and the auto is designed to allow the torque to be used when it is needed up hill and the torque converter to lock up in 4th gear on the flat to give the best fuel economy possible when towing that weight. The new utes are very pretty and I would replace my Disco with one so long as I never towed more than 2000kg but they will struggle with 3500kg behind them, both mechanically and from a safety aspect.

brapbrap8, Aug 3, 7:07am
I have towed 3,500kg behind a new Ranger quite often and it does it well.
All around the Coromandel etc.

The technology and engineering in a modern ute makes them very good to tow with, especially if you are not in a huge rush.

tweake, Aug 3, 7:24am
tow ratings are not a legal requirement here.
big problem for most is the 6 ton limit for a car license.

a lot of it is in the setup and driving style.
probably the biggest problem these days is the utes are a lot more powerful so they tow at faster speeds.
bigger campers which have big problems with wind. light but big sail area.

however the cost of an over 2500kg trailer is a fair bit. so they are not that common.
i don't see 3500kg trailers as a problem, people driving unbraked 2000kg's is a bigger issue. also maintenance of cheap trailers.

bwg11, Nov 12, 2:29am
Bump for lia20