Vibrations trhough steering on L/H turns

millerz08, Feb 11, 3:02am
On L/H turns at low speed/stopped there are vibrations coming through the steering wheel.

Any idea what could be the issue (Ford Flacon Bf 2006 xr6).

mechnificent, Feb 11, 3:12am
If you raise the revs a little does the vibrating stop or change speed ?

Does the power steering pump belt squeal?

millerz08, Feb 11, 3:17am
Will get my husband to check those things when he gets home.
Only purchased it the other day, so have only driven it for 2 days.

It had a AA inspection prior to purchase, that the seller arrange.
The report mentioned some vibration on L/H turns but when I spoke to them they said the car was in good condition, and should not require any unexpected repairs- other than a split diff mount.

millerz08, Feb 11, 3:19am
No power steering squeal at all.
Just the vibrating sound and feeling on low/stopped speed when turning left.

Its booked in for a service and I have mentioned this issue also, but wondering what the cause could be. As I have to wait till next week to get it to the Mechanic.

homeless_guy, Feb 11, 10:05am
Wheel bearing more than likely.
When turning left the offending wheel is on the outside of the turning radius and thus is taking a greater proportion of the load at the axle.
Get someone to jack the wheel, place a stethescope on the inner hub (or a screw driver handle pressed against the ear) and rotate the wheel slowly. Placing your finger tips gently on the inner hub while it is rotated can also help detect 'rumbles' and 'grumbles'.

millerz08, Feb 11, 6:16pm
ok I will get my husband to try that this arvo.

tamarillo, Feb 11, 6:21pm
Wheel bearing sounds good but you say it does it when stopped. Wheel beari g can't make wheel vibrate when cars not moving surely.
If cars is dead still and still does it surely it's something in steering assistance?
But of course cars are magical contraptions and only wizards in overhauls and a life's learning of that singular model can really know.
You'll need a wizard named Bruce for the falcon.

ntalke, Feb 11, 6:57pm
My money is on either the upper or lower Ball joint on that side as these are a common problem

There is plenty of other areas to check as well as there is plenty of other Bushes that get tired as well

jmma, Feb 11, 8:59pm
Lump in tyre?

poppy62, Feb 12, 1:25am
Working on the premise that motion causes the vibration and that it occurs when Stopped (as well) I'm of the opinion that it is a broken/split Engine mount. 2nd guess would be steering box damper, although I have to admit I'm not sure of the Fords steering layout (Rack or steering box).

mechnificent, Feb 12, 2:25am
This. If it's a high frequency sort of a shuddering/chattering. If it's slow and comes through or makes the steering wheel shudder it is more likely to be something in the steering.

If it is a ball joint it should be able to be felt with the fingers.

afer_daily, Feb 14, 4:27am
not the Beach Boys (good vibrations ) ?

cone1, Feb 24, 8:52am
I have a 04 BA XR6, All joints and wheel bearings are in good condition.
It has a shudder when turning lock to lock. Definitely in the steering rack and gives the feeling of air in the hydraulics? Fan belt is tight and fluid level is full.

tamarillo, Feb 24, 6:53pm
What was it op?

bjmh, Feb 24, 7:07pm
I had one here like that. unbeatabull. a guy on here . suggested retightening the 2 bolts that secure the rack,really swing on them . it fixed my one.

tamarillo, Feb 24, 8:30pm
That sound plausible especially if it worked!

kazbanz, Feb 24, 10:05pm
hang on--was that a FULL pre purchase inspection or one of those advertising sheets hung in the window?.(one page inspection)
If its the latter then I would be right away paying for a FULL pre purchase inspection because they aren't worth the paper they are written on.

gmphil, Feb 24, 10:58pm
heard a story , that this happened to friend of mine the garage replaced the main pressure hose and solved problem ?

hollandia, Feb 25, 1:43am
The wheels have been turned lock to lock when on the hoist, this is a no-no with these models, sometimes the shudder will fade with time otherwise replace hose (now modified) as above posting.

cone1, Feb 25, 4:42am
Yes wheels were turned lock to lock and it did happen after that but if you go for a WOF check they do the same and there are no VTNZ bulletins regarding this issue on BA Falcons

cone1, Feb 25, 4:53am
Interesting fact regarding steering shudder. I had just replaced the front disc pads in the BA XR6. I tried the same pads into another falcon and that car started the same steering shudder?

thunderbolt, Feb 25, 7:58am
Steering shudder or brake shudder?

cone1, Mar 8, 8:17am
Steering shudder, car standing still with engine running turning lock to lock.

millerz08, May 10, 3:03am
Took it in for a service, and also got the power steering fluid changed.
No more shudder, so my guess is air in the power steering.
As some one mentioned above, I think air gets in the lines if it is turned with the engine off. (from my understanding anyway).