Wrong year on rego

geedubu, Oct 26, 4:49am
If I have an import that was registered in NZ as a 1998, but when you check it's definitely, no question, a 1999, can you have it changed? Could make a value difference.

geedubu, Oct 26, 4:50am
Check using multiple VIN sites BTW

franc123, Oct 26, 4:58am
Check what? You would have to prove it to NZTA that it was a mistake and the only way to do that would be with a written declaration from the manufacturer stating its true manufacturing date, if you could be bothered on a car that old. It would only really make a miniscule value difference, maybe if going from 99 to 00 but not 98 to 99.

geedubu, Oct 26, 5:07am
Yeah maybe what you say but there is a genuine difference between detailed VIN build date and sale date and NZ rego date. The transition covered a model upgrade & the next gen is a notably better car with extra specs.

a.woodrow, Oct 26, 5:15am
What make and model is it?

dinx, Oct 26, 6:08am
There are incidences I think where someone has got an YYYY model at the end of the year prior so the year appears to mismatch but is not really, will be registered as YYYY-1 car. Have heard it happen with new cars but maybe I'm wrong.

macman26, Oct 26, 6:23am
Mate of mine got the new 2010 Hilux in November or December of 2009 a few years back.

panicky, Oct 26, 6:24am
You see it regularly where say a 1998 built vehicle is registered as a 1999, but rarely the other way around. The last one I saw that was the latter way round was made mid year (I work for genuine dealer so can check easily) so I can only assume a punching error was made by someone or similar.

minischnauzer, Oct 26, 6:46am
Might be a 99 model but must have on import paper work that it was first registered overseas in 98. This is common overseas for the new model for one year to come out late in the previous year. eg A 2015 model coming out in late 2014 so will be first registered as 2014. Registration out here is nothing to do with what year model it is but is to show the exact date of first registration anywhere in the world.

lookoutas, Oct 26, 7:46am
That's what's happened. You are probably correctly screwed.

kazbanz, Oct 26, 9:38pm
it comes down to first registration date of THAT car. If it was registered in 98 then end of argument

tgray, Oct 27, 1:52am
Give us the plate number and us dealers can give you a definite answer on it.

phillip.weston, Oct 27, 2:39am
At the end of the day it's a 17 year old car so the year is hardly going to make a difference in value.

westwyn, Dec 25, 10:26am
I've got the Japanese Domestic market production manuals tucked away somewhere for 1998 and 1999, if you list the chassis code and model details (be as specific as you can, don't worry about the plate number) I can check and see the first date of production for you.