Chrysler 300c V8 opinion please

kellymd1, Nov 16, 8:24am
Hi have you owned one and what is your opinion, how do they handle on corners and hills. They look like a heavy car?

db.price, Nov 16, 9:23am
They are heavy and like most American designed cars are excellent for long cruising - on an interstate with no corners! They corner like and ocean liner (according to the review by Jerremy Ckarkson). Good power and pick up for passing, horrrid styling. Soft suspension.

kellymd1, Nov 16, 9:36am
Bugger we have a large hill to drive over to get out of town :(

whqqsh, Nov 16, 10:02am
In south Aucks they've become a bit of a ghetto wagon, even dealers have gotten rid of theirs as they became too obvious as a 'top dog dealer' mobile.

franc123, Nov 16, 10:22am
I'd be more concerned about the image problem they have than their ability to go round corners, I don't think either is desirable.

nzjay, Nov 16, 10:33am
Yes, the hoods around here are matt blacking them, very dark glass tint, stripping chrome and ornamentation. No longer a car to own by association.

nzjay, Nov 16, 10:34am
Wouldn't mind a silver one tho.

brapbrap8, Nov 16, 9:38pm
You may find they drive better than they look, they are based on the Mercedes E class. (assuming you are talking about the first generation?)

I have only been driven in one, the driver was 2m tall, and I am 1.85m tall and was seated behind the driver and my knees were not even close to touching the back of the seat.
They certainly are big and comfortable cars.

The diesel one uses a Mercedes engine and goes well, I don't know much about the V8s except that there are 2 variants, the one you want is the SRT which has the bigger engine and a much sportier suspension and brake setup.

hotrodtodd1, Nov 16, 10:39pm
They have image issues, which may or may not be a problem for you.

The 5.7V8 goes well, but doesnt handle as well as a similar vintage Commodore. The SRT/8 has more sporty front seats but they can be uncomfortably tight for bigger persons. Interior was a bit plain in my view. Again those things may or may not be a problem for you.

There were also issues early on with the lower suspension arms which seemed to fail.

Im unconvinced that the big Chrysler would be any better that a V8 Falcon or a V8 Commodore. Resale is worse and some dealers arent keen on them as trade ins, and price them accordingly.

tamarillo, Nov 17, 3:39am
Brapbrap s 'based on Mercedes E' is a bit optimistic me thinks. Based on a Chrysler platform that borrowed some components from Merc as they were bed fellows at time.
Read plenty of Aussie tests as they pushed them as commodore falcon competitor there. Generally said to be great cruiser and v8 great grunt, and tidy handling for yank car but not quite up there with assume sedans.
But under normal use its surely completely adequate.
Mate has the jeep Cherokee with hemi motor and loves the grunt, and is perfectly happy with rolling American SUV ways, and this sedan must surely be much tidier than that.
Considering most yanks of this size are now front wheel drive this would be one of their best.
I reckons they look great as wagons, and they do a V6 diesel version which would be tempting.

unclejake, Nov 17, 5:10am
I drove one of the first STR8 models and it was awesome. Fantastic power and handling to match. It felt like an AMG, but the internal rear vision mirror caused a huge blind spot for the taller driver.

Agree that the image isn't a good one though. They are a thug's car these days

kellymd1, Nov 17, 8:32am
Thanks for all your comments, I own a commodore and thinking of a v8 commodore but there are so many around. I'm a bit of a American car lover, bigger the better, used to have a 62 chev impala.
And many other yank tanks and trucks while in the states and Australia. Also have a Harley. I live in a small town near nelson so bad image isn't a problem as would be in cities. I can imagine how this car would be sort after by a certain type of people.

westwyn, Nov 18, 11:01am
Their styling may be an acquired taste for some, and their image in *certain* areas questionable, but as a car, they're actually quite a lot of fun to drive. I've had the pleasure of a 300C 5.7 sedan for a week in Auckland, a 6.1 SRT8 Wagon for 2 weeks round the North Island, and a 300C Diesel from Christchurch to Dunedin. Without doubt the SRT8 wagon was the pick of the bunch- with leather, sunroof and a set of 20"s it was a helluva machine to drive and cruise in- I loved every minute of it. Didn't so much love the inability to pass a gas station.
The 300C diesel is a dark horse- doesn't sound good on paper, but actually a really good drive in the flesh. Just not the Americana full monty you might expect.
The "new" model diesels have a pretty savage torque curve. :-p
And yes, they borrowed heavily from the Mercedes-Benz E-Class at the time- not quite a re-skin but the fundamental shell and platform is E-Class with a number of Daimler-Benz components.

edangus, Nov 19, 9:33am
Drove one for 3 years 2010 SRT8. Loved it. In fact it is my favourite car of all (Including all my 70s Muscle Cars). E38 740 sits at number 2.
Its for Sale on a South Auckland Yard, much to my regret.
Very reliable, very comfortable, very economical on long hauls. Go round corners well etc. etc. Have to get your throttle under control though ( real easy to light her up if you want).
Steering feel was a bit desensitized and the latest model definitely is an improvement in that department. My advice . pick a 2010 on Model, has all the bells and whistles. Stay away from the Pauper Pack 5.7ltr.
Edangus Score 8.5/10.
Who gives a rats arse if your neighbour thinks your a dealer? You have just decreased the likelihood of your house getting robbed! Got to be a Plus!

elect70, Oct 2, 2:03am
Cool conversion done by Chip Foose on 1 last nite turbo channel , actually looked quite good took away that gangsta look they have standard in black .