When does an insurance co deem a car a write off?

beetle1234, Jun 23, 8:25am
My ma,s 1988 Honda City had the front bumper knocked/torn off by a Maui camper in the local car park,the wee rocket has only done 100ks,2 little ole lady owners, very tidy,insured for agreed value of $2000.00. Its off for appraisel tmmra, I was wondering at what % of the insured value do they deem it unviable to fix? and if they do write it off can we keep the car and fix it myself.(I have done this before tho that was a wee while ago, the insurance co didn,t derego the car and just paid me out a certain % and I kept the car).I havn,t seen the car as yet tho it is still being driven at the mo. Thank for any imput.Cheers AJ

gmphil, Jun 23, 8:34am
in this economic time id say $ 1990. lol that way they still get ur on going premium payments too

sw20, Jun 23, 8:39am
My last write off was from hail damage. An MR2 insured for $5k agreed value. Repair cost was going to be $4100. Written off. So over 80%?

smallwoods, Jun 23, 9:06am
On a new car, when the passenger compartment has been compromised.

skiff1, Jun 23, 9:22am
no you can't keep the car, but you can buy the wreck off them,

howz_that, Jun 23, 10:06am
AA insurance write the vehicle off when damage exceeds 75% of the vehicle value

petal_91, Jun 23, 10:44am
You could choose not to involve the insurer and instead independently pursue a claim against Maui.

mopeds, Jun 23, 10:48am
Water damage always results in a write off.

andy61, Jun 24, 1:23am
You can demand the insurance company repair the car .I know of many cases where the owners wanted to keep the car and the car got repaired.

andrew1954, Jun 24, 3:56am
When the insurance "writes off" your car and pays you out on it, it is called "subregation". By accepting the pay out you subregation your right to it, i.e. It now belongs to the insurance company, and they are free to do what they like with it.

cherrybear29, Jun 24, 4:04am
normally its a write off around 75% ish - depends on the company.

Once a "write off" is paid out the car belongs to the insurance co however most are happy to negotiate you "buying the car" back off them for the value of the wreck. whether its derego or no depends on whether there is any structural type damage normally - tho remember they will also cancel the insurance on it until its fixed

lookoutas, Jun 24, 5:33am
If it's a claim against the Road Maggot, then you can dig your toes in and have it repaired.

jason_247, Jun 24, 6:22am
If its not your fault then you have quite a good chance of getting it repaired even if it exceeds the value agreed.

your insurance company will be claiming the money back so they dont care in the long run.

ive seen a beaten up 1988 mitsi rvr have 5 k of repairs done because they refused to have it paid out.

mottly, Jun 24, 7:09am
You can never tell. A mate of mine had $1200 damage on a car worth 4kg, they wrote it off. Maybe it depends on the insurer

beetle1234, Jun 24, 7:17am
Okay,If the car is decided a write off? Can I accept a value payout under the write off cost,keep the car,take the money,fix it myself. What is that called ( I,ve done it once b4)or let em write it off ,get payd out ,no car etc). Cheers AJ.

beno, Jun 24, 7:46am
Your insurer , or, the 3rd party insurance company will appraise the car for cost of repair. they will also look at the value of it as a "write off"
lets say its worth $500 to a wrecker for spares, that leaves only $1500 to repair it as your policy is valued at $2000. they will also consider the value of the insurance excess, if any and also deduct that from their cost. It will be their policy to send all vehicles to auction so you will have to buy it back at market price. However, they are not always assholes and will sometimes let you buy back the car, but you will need to have a good case for argument. eg. if it is a classic car or rare. good luck

cherrybear29, Jun 25, 6:15am
Not always . if its only worth say 5K (this is market value) and its 7K to fix then they are under no obligation to repair your vehicle. legally they are only liable for the actual value of the damaged caused OR the actual value of the vehicle, whichever is the lesser

lookoutas, Jun 25, 6:41am
Of course you are right.

Forgot to mention - in the case of a marginal difference, they will often repair a car just to shut someone up.
So OP - As it's not your fault, make a noise.

cheapy11, Apr 29, 10:05am
Get it in to be looked at by the Panelbeater. They should be able to give you some indication straight off as to if its likely to be written off or not. However "written off" is actually just "uneconomic to repair" so the amount of damage required to write off depends on car age, value & availability of parts etc. Once the panelshop has submitted a quote and if it is deemed uneconomic to repair you can request to just be paid out a cash settlement and keep the car, however not all Ins Co's will allow this and they certainly wont do it if there is any chassis/structural damage.