Wof failed - garage wants $530

Page 1 / 2
kieran211, Jun 19, 3:59am
fair enough if it failed - but I almost feel as if they're just trying to fleece me.
one thing was rocker cover gasket leaky onto exhaust - is this even a wof issue, I haven't noticed any smoke or oil drips on the clean concrete at home?
$120

other thing they said was top left engine mount is apparently broken - well doesn't look broken to me, but then I'm not sure what a broken one actually looks like - I'm imagining the rubber inner is broken away from the outer?
$140

bit of a novice here sorry - still learning.

the other bit $290 for front break pads & rotors replacement seemed more legit

toyboy3, Jun 19, 4:06am
Take the car to another WOF place !

kazbanz, Jun 19, 4:10am
Kierean--That sounds like a fair and reasonable charge for a ferarri.
-What Year/make/model is the car?
$140 to replace an engine mount sounds pretty average same with the rotors etc.
if you want to save the $140 for the cover gasket then clean up all the oil leaks from it so the engines clean.You might find if its an older Nissan that putting a 10mm spanner over all the cover bolts will stiop the weep

doglover2003, Jun 19, 4:11am
Potential fire hazard leaky gasket.
Just buy after market parts from supercheap ripco etc they have rotors
cheap on a good day.
I know how you feel, I usually feel like that like they were out to get me.
Just think lately its for my safety and others. Last wof on truck right rear tyre as bald as but failed on tie-rod. Recent motorbike WOF failed cause of front wheel bearing only but front pads had mm of pad left.
Bit of a joke WOF's going on recent experiences but they could go even harder if they wanted to. Truck wof guy even sold tyres :)

ceebee2, Jun 19, 4:28am
+1 and when they pass it they will see it failed previously. you simply repaired them didn't you?

doglover2003, Jun 19, 4:30am
Go to a place that only does WOF's, no repairs to avoid conflict of interest

2sheddies, Jun 19, 4:30am
I'll take a guess that it's a Subaru? Leaky cam cover gaskets are very common and it goes straight onto the exhaust. It might also explain the $120 as they're a bit fiddly to get at than some other cars.

tamarillo, Jun 19, 4:32am
As a guess those prices seem ok. Depends on car but labour to replace gasket could easily take most of that.
All are legit wof failures.
Take wof sheet elsewhere for a second quote.

tgray, Jun 19, 4:44am
Because the oil is leaking onto the exhaust, it would have been getting toasted by the heat, so you wouldn't be getting oil on your driveway.
A broken engine mount in definitely a WOF failure and you should be happy they picked that up. Broken is a generic term used and doesn't mean it hanging there, as in 'broken'. As you acknowledge, you don't really know what it is supposed to look like.
Brakes and rotors need replacement? Are the rotors below the minimum thickness? warped? cracked? I would just ask why they need replacing first.
To replace the pads, rotors and labour charges and GST, the amount quoted seems fair.

mkenzi, Jun 19, 4:51am
Whats the name of this place you go to ?

tgray, Jun 19, 4:53am
Why would you ask that?
Naming them instantly puts them in an unfair questionable light.
I don't think that would be fair on their business with the info supplied right now. Anyway, naming and shaming is forbidden on this message board.

pandai, Jun 19, 7:54am
All of those prices seem very cheap to me. Probably because I seem to spend more than that in routine maintenance alone each year.

kieran211, Jun 19, 9:45am
its a Mazda Capella 1997 sedan. thinking i might have a go at replacing the parts myself it does look a bit leaky around the rocker cover and I have a spare car and a spare day tomorrow

lusty9, Jun 19, 9:53am
leaking rocker cover gasket is a little steep perhaps $80 but its finding where the leak originates thats the hard part and yes its a fire hazard on my brothers Au falcon the power steering motor bolt was a tad lose which was causing power steering fluid to leak onto the rocker; which looked like a leaky gasket. I simply tightened it up and saved him a few bob that is why I stressed the "leak originates", you can only detect the engine mount fault by revving the motor and if it lurches a great deal have someone stand there and you will see the mount open up as it moves then settle itself back down when the car idles again; it may look ok from just looking at it. But all in all its a fair spot on in price give or take. not happy get a second opinion.

phillip.weston, Jun 19, 12:41pm
I would degrease around the top of the engine using that cheap supercheap auto engine degreaser in an aerosol can (I used to go through cases of this stuff. ) and drive around for a bit and re-inspect for any leaks around the gasket.

floscey, Jun 19, 8:20pm
FS /FP motors well known for r/gasket leaks. The rubber gasket will now be like hard plastic. Get the r/cover gasket kit with the bolt seals . The gasket kit is $45 + gst (late,with bolt seals). 1997 is the change year so you may need to check the bolt holes size on gasket 8mm(late 97>) or 12mm (early <97).

monsieurl, Jun 19, 11:21pm
Brake pads probably $100 too much unless they are installing quality pads, the others seem fair if they are providing parts.

a.woodrow, Jun 20, 12:28am
Pads and rotors

kieran211, Jun 20, 5:35am
thanks for the help guys - i changed the rotors and pads myself - luckily youtube has some good instruction vids lol

guy at bnt reckoned the rotors had done their time so doesn't seem like the garage is ripping me off so far.

intrade, Jun 20, 6:08am
well post your prices?

pebbles61, Jun 20, 10:22am
$120 for a rocker cover gasket? wtf?

And $140 for an engine mount, that seems a bit steep, granted I appreciate they have to fit it and make a profit.

trudyg1, Jun 20, 10:43am
I failed on tires (fair enough) and a head light adjustment - it looked like they ticked pass on the light then changed their minds. Got the tires fixed and took it back the next week and they passed it all. I never did anything to the light. I don't know if they adjusted it or if it was marginal to start with.

mopeds, Jun 20, 10:50am
WOF's are an upsell for garages, they'll tell you whats wrong then give you a price to fix, you don't get to chance for a second opinion, even if you do find a cheaper repairer you need to return to original garage to recheck for WOF.

crudeawakening, Jun 20, 8:03pm
I'm in the auto trade- interesting that a first reaction is that your being ripped off? I've been discussing this with my employer lately. With the industry ever changing I wonder if this is down to two main factors.

Cars are advancing rapidly and most customers do not understand the equipment and skill required to repair modern faults. The trade used to be a dumping ground for kids who were no good at school, now we require the brightest kids although its hard when pay rates can be comparatively low.

Secondly, with the invention of youtube etc, owners can get information for free, go to supercheap and do basic services yourself. These companies have cut margins out of parts for repair companies and make turning a profit even harder. All the while, the customer loses touch with how difficult modern diagnostics are.

We have to charge for our time to stay in business, I get plenty of customers who come in asking questions, take up plenty of time and walk away without offering a cent. Or I do a quick job and they want it for free. I'm not mad, but think about what it costs to get a plumber out? This car had several safety problems which pose risk to your own families lives and others on the road- a few hundred dollars can be a lot to the owner, but its nothing in the scheme of what it costs to locate, diagnose, find the (correct) parts, go to the parts supplier or order them in, liaise with you (gaining permission/explaining) and then fit them. Not to mention training the next generation technician as they don't come out of school ready to work like a uni student who paid for that themselves :)

I take my cars to an independent testing station and I trust what they tell me. I keep a close eye on my vehicles but miss things from time to time, that's what wofs are for!

kazbanz, Jun 20, 10:03pm
I have never read such a load of rubbish.
A WOF is a snapshot in time of the condition of your car. Nothing more ,nothing less.
If you don't like the list of repairs needed maybe YOU should take responsibility for your life and do regular/planned maintainance.