Alternative to Nissan Note

noelinevc, Aug 20, 12:29pm
Hi I have taken a Nissan Note for a test drive - I really like the leg room for the passengers and the height but having done some reading want to avoid cvt transmission (a couple of hours ago did not know there was such a thing!). What is comparable size and economy wise. I have read reviews and tried to work out but am completely confused and I am finding it difficult to work out the size by just looking at photos! Basically my criteria is needs to be comfortable for 3 adults, hatchback, low fuel usage and reliable. I am looking for something under $7000 I live 30 mins from the nearest shop, only go on unsealed road once a week, do almost no city driving. Could someone point me in the right direction? Please. Cheers

camerong1, Aug 20, 7:28pm
Honda Fit is also about the same size as a note, I loved the note also and in fact believe they have improved the cvt gear box. It could be weong

kazbanz, Aug 20, 7:46pm
noelinevc
Ok the note is one step up from the tiny hatch backs.
Unfortunately its almost out on its own size wise bigger than some but smaller than others.
In YOUR price bracket it competes directly with the DY series demios
(*2002-2007) the demio's definitely have more space inside.
Honda fit is about the same size but you are jumping from frying pan to fire buying an automatic Fit,--they DO have dodgy transmissions.
The Note isn't anywhere as well known for transmission issues as the Fit
BUT all that said- By your description of your driving to be honest I wouldn't likely have the note on my list.
I'd be looking at an 01-06 Toyota Allex/Runx/corolla or a Mazda axella.
If you are happy to go Sedan then Have a look at the bluebird Sylphy 1800cc

tamarillo, Aug 20, 8:50pm
I'm with Kaz, for your driving the cars you mention don't fit. On open road the slight extra engine size makes very little difference to economy and the car will drive far better, feel more secure etc. hugely so on gravel.
Honda Civic , Mazda 3, Corolla, Impreza, make far better job.
If youre good with sedans you get more for you're money, they're often worth a bit less.

noelinevc, Aug 21, 2:13am
Thank you so much for the help. I do need a hatchback and need good accessibility for one passenger. I had also looked at a Funcargo - I am guessing you think that is too small. (Have been driving a Toyota Starlet so pretty much anything will be bigger than what we have now!)
When you say "the demio's definitely have more space inside" is that more space than the Note? I am very nervous about ending up with a car that I can not afford to drive because of gas costs.

kazbanz, Aug 21, 3:00am
noeline- Yes a Demio is bigger inside than a Note.-Sorry rephrase that the PASSENGER space is almost identical but the LUGGAGE space is a heck of a lot bigger.-The notes luggage area is raised whereas the demios is at "floor" level. It makes the useable space almost double.-then flip the back seats forwards and its pretty roomy.
Funcargo as al alternative--HECK YEA.
I just measured and the funcargo is almost exactly the same lenth and width as a note.within 5cm long and wide.
mechanically it is a corolla but its HUGE inside.
I almost invariably recommend a Funcargo for anyone with any form of back,hip or mobility issue.This is because the doors are big and the seats are higher than normal. They also have virtually no blind spots
They also have an absolute TONNE of space for "stuff" so if the mobility issue gets worse then a wheelchair in the back is definitely doable.
My only comment on the Funcargo is that for YOUR use I would suggest definitely grab a 1500cc
For thefuel efficiency the Funcargo 1500 still gets 4.5 stars so basicly the same efficiency if not better than the starlet you have now.

edangus, Aug 21, 9:31am
How about a Toyota Passo? or Daihatsu Boon? or the Materia or Coo?

tgray, Aug 21, 7:43pm
Not a lot of Axela's under $7000.

kazbanz, Aug 21, 8:30pm
Don't think they would handle a lot of open road work

noelinevc, Aug 21, 11:55pm
Thanks, I do like Toyota because I have had 2 very reliable cheap cars from them, Have read heaps of good stuff on the Demio also. You have me convinced to go with the 1500cc it is just trying to narrow it down and then I need to find a good dealer. There are lots of Toyota Ist in the right price bracket - would they be a starter? . I will be buying in Auckland most likely because Whangarei is too expensive so really need to narrow it down before I go down. Once again thanks for all the input it has really helped!

kazbanz, Aug 22, 3:59am
noelinevc wrote:
. There are lots of Toyota Ist in the right price bracket - would they be a starter? . [quote]

IMO the Toyota Ist is a fantastic vehicle.
I genuinely feel that the Ist was the styling inspiration for the Suzuki Swift.
Mechanically they ARE a Toyota Vitz/Echo so you have a realkly solid vehicle mechanically.
BUT--For YOU. I just don't think it will work.--Ok rephrase that. Its almost identical size wise to the Swift. So a bit lo less storage room than your starlet.
Also to be honest for mainly open road use they are a bit "choppy" or harsh in the suspension.
Don't get me wrong this is NOT a failing in the Ist . I make the same comment about all cars that fall into the small segment.

jeff1234, Aug 22, 6:10am
If you like the note and dont like CVT, dont they come in manual here? my old dear just bought one in UK with 6 speed manual box.

gammelvind, Aug 22, 6:24am
You will get good pricing in Auckland, may I suggest you try a place out west called Millars Car Centre, you will find them more than just a little bit helpful. Of course look other places but if I were shopping in Auckland I would visit there first.

noelinevc, Aug 22, 10:31am
Thanks - I had a look at Millars but their stock is out of my price range. I have trawled trough Trade Me until my brain hurts! Every time I think I have found one I start worrying about the cost of gas or mileage or reliability and that is after I have found one under $7000. OMG I can't believe some people do this for fun

kazbanz, Aug 22, 9:30pm
noeline- you are missing the point I suspect. The idea is to first find cars you think looks good on the internet THEN find a place with a range of them so you can look them over. Pretty fast you will see what does or doesn't work for you size wise.
(Incidently the GOVERNMENT fuel ratings for the various cars are legally required to be displayed on all cars for sale at a dealers yard.)
THEN you can go home do your research to be sure its not going to be a gas guzzler.
Then you know your choice is something you would be happy with.
THEN you find "the one" car that fits your budget etc.
Incidently I strongly suggest you get a pre Purchase inspection carried out.Fuel costs are not the only costs of running a car. a pile of crud that's costing heaps to maintain is worse than one that costs a bit in fuel

tamarillo, Aug 22, 9:46pm
A good car is a good car no matter what it is (within reason). There are a few problematic cars (Honda fit and Nissan CVT boxes seem to be in there) but an abused example of a car with great reputation is a Liability compared with a really good car of pretty much any type.
And within a certain type of car your looking at real world feul differences are minimal and NOT the biggest cost at all.
So like others say, find something that suits you and falls within your price range, check it isn't an outstanding failure, then find very best you can.

Or make small list of few that would work and look for them.

I'd much rather a really nice 2004 car from good dealer with good backing, than a 2008 of questionable quality and support.

tamarillo, Sep 12, 9:13am