MK3 VR6 Jazz Vtecnet

Page 2 / 2
w202merc, Feb 19, 6:35am
yeah the 5 series are a different kettle of fish (more luxury ride) the M Sports are hard enough with out lowering springs! but at least with out the lowering springs they are well damped, lowering springs would have ruined the damping, if the VR6 doesen't work out i will just be after an "old man" spec 530, i kinda want the 540 though (dreams are free)

w202merc, Feb 19, 6:37am
thank you that is next on my hit list!

w202merc, Feb 19, 6:37am
thank you again! its been raining so im not crawling under it in the wet, i will report back tomorrow and let you know.

w202merc, Feb 19, 7:03am
Hi Mat, is this plug you are talking about in this photo? thanks in advance, engine to the left and battery to the right.
http://postimg.org/image/bsrpzzcnf/ef6d9149/

audi_s_ate, Feb 19, 7:17am
Haven't read thoroughly through but I've had the misfortune of owning a vr6 manual in the past.
Heater cores are very common to rust out and get bypassed - hence you have no heat - it is a good few hours to change out.
Compared to a mild/hot japanese hatch they are really nothing special apart from that glorious noise! The V6 feels very front heavy and handling below par of what you get from the Japanese. Just my opinion of course.
I just couldn't live with the constant niggles that owning a European car of that age brings, without it being really special.

w202merc, Feb 19, 7:20am
thanks for your random input, for what i paid for it a Jappa with the same power and handling and 0-100 time would cost me 3X as much, those 4AGE Corollas are getting REALLY tired now (big end bearing failure is pretty common) i have owned 2 turbo Jappas an 03 Legacy GT single turbo and a 2003 Mitsubishi VR-4 and i prefer the VR6 over both of those cars the VR6 has only done 140,000ks handling is better then most cars i have driven (as good as the Legacy with out having a back breaking ride) and it doesn't feel nose heavy, i think the people that reckon they don't corner don't know how to drive them, i am also getting reasonable fuel economy out of it, if i can get to the bottom of this solenoid problem and the A/C running i will be sweet.

bigfatmat1, Feb 19, 7:21am
The plug is easily accessible under bonet

w202merc, Feb 19, 7:23am
there seem to be multiple plugs not sure what one you are getting at, there is a loose plug under the coolant hose but that's mounted horizontally. all the rest seem pretty secure.

audi_s_ate, Feb 19, 7:30am
Well it would handle better than those fairly heavy mid size sedans, its a small hatchback.
I'm not a fan of those corolla's but I have owned several DOHC/vtec honda's of varying ages from 80's to early 00's. They are more fun to drive faster, most were faster in a straight line than a vr6 and have a 1/3 the fuel bill and none of the misc. 'maintenance' costs.
Lets just agree to disagree on the handling as it can be fairly subjective. I will agree on the pricing front - they are cheap.

w202merc, Feb 19, 7:44am
if you only knew how cheap i got it ;) i practically stole it, heard good things about the fast Hondas but they arn't my thing im not a fan of engines you have to rev the nuts off to get anywhere, i like 6's and V8's i guess you could call me a bogan.

audi_s_ate, Feb 19, 7:52am
Nice, enjoy - I will never forget the sound mine made, raw and angry.

vtecnet, Feb 19, 8:15am
The base GTI and the VR6 handle similarly, with slight understeer kept in check by a stiff rear suspension-a setup that leads to the characteristic wheel lift under extreme handling maneuvers. Although the GTI lifted its rear inside tire more eagerly than the stiffer GTI VR6, it still managed to produce 0.02 more lateral g on the skidpad. Half-inch-wider wheels with lower-profile tires couldn't compensate for the GTI VR6's approximately 250-pound weight penalty. However, the benefits of the sport-tuned suspension were apparent in the slalom, where the GTI VR6 danced through the cones more than two mph faster than the four-cylinder car. The advantage in transitional response translates to more-predictable handling for the GTI VR6 on twisty roads.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/112_9609_volkswagen_gti/#ixzz3SB1YCwsC

vtecnet, Feb 19, 8:26am
http://wot.motortrend.com/10-worst-handling-cars-tested-2010-20318.html

It handles better than any of these from 2010 :)

audi_s_ate, Feb 19, 9:02am
http://www.fastcar.co.uk/2014/08/06/vw-golf-mk3-vr6-buyers-guide/

You can find whatever you like online to suit your own opinion.

'With the weight of the engine it??

w202merc, Feb 19, 10:49am
both good vids! if you shifted the VR6 manually you would probably would eek a little more out of it, will post a vid of mine when this gearbox issue is fixed, i don't want to give it hell at the moment in case it drops its guts! and im not sure what engine sounds better!

w202merc, Feb 19, 10:53am
holy s**t your CRX was a rocket ship!

vtecnet, Feb 19, 9:52pm
yeah that was my track day toy that one.
Sold it after the earthquake, it could do 12.9 @107mph on the 1/4 Mile.
It was a NON vtec 1600cc DOHC with a TDO4HL turbo running 10psi.

heres a vid of the new owner doing 1/4 mile racing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWWLIpkXuTk

w202merc, Jun 8, 3:40pm
what a sleeper!