Insurance

caldan, Oct 14, 8:44am
If an uninsured car parked in a car park gets hit by an insured car, is it still possible to get the insurance company of the car that hit the uninsured car to cover the damages?

mr_lovebug, Oct 14, 8:48am
Yes, as long as the insured person puts in a claim.

They can decide NOT to lodge a claim.

brapbrap8, Oct 14, 10:02am
Yes, otherwise send the bill to the other driver directly, and if they decline to pay, take them to the disputes tribunal.

tjholding, Oct 14, 7:55pm
(Work in claims)

Absolutely (assuming the insured driver was at fault). This is known as Third Party cover (or liability cover) and is included in all vehicle insurance (to the best of my knowledge). Assuming the insurance claim is accepted [i.e the insured driver wasn't driving drunk or otherwise in breach of their policy] then the insurer will pay the costs on behalf of their client.

If the claim is not accepted then the driver of the at fault vehicle is still responsible for the costs, just the not-at-fault owner will have to seek the money directly.

tamarillo, Oct 14, 9:01pm
A car park isn't public road, so no road rules are enforceable. This can me a nightmare defining fault. Unless they admit fault you might be stuffed.

monaro17, Oct 14, 9:08pm
If it ispossible It shouldn't be. If you don't have insurance on your car you take the risk (same with house insurance). If it were up to me I'd say tough luck buddy- no matter if you are at fault or not you should have insurance

snapperheadrkp, Oct 14, 11:30pm
Things may have changed, but I did a Forklift Licence course a few years ago (for inside buildings and yards controlled by card swipe gates. The people on the course that worked in Supermarkets, and places that had public parking had to stay on for 3 more hours to gain further endorsements as these areas were considered to be PUBLIC places the same as the road.(once they gained they could drive any sized registered forklift in the public car park and on the road) I also believe a Cop or Meter Maid can give you a ticket for no WOF or an expired Rego in a Supermarket, Mall or off street public carpark.

bigfatmat1, Oct 14, 11:47pm
although it may be privately owned it is still a public place. Unless it is gated so the public cannot enter road legislation still applies.

tweake, Oct 15, 12:05am
a mate had this recently where an uninsured driver backed into his car.

because blame is so difficult to assign, they have each persons insurance pay out for themselves.
so if you have no insurance or third party only, you can't claim and the other persons insurance does not cover you.

macman26, Oct 15, 12:09am
Even gated can still be a public road as we let delivery drivers in the gate so we need the F endorsement also. At least the company pays for the training and license.

lookoutas, Oct 15, 6:06am
We deal with heaps of those. You're bloody lucky you know who hit you!

Most do a runner. Even one in our "past" courtesy car, backed into a ute tray in the Supermarket carpark, and dented our tailgate. Dropped the car back and took his car, but didn't say a word.
One of the guys got a txt from his mate who saw it happen, so we went out and had a look. Bloody near stuffed the tailgate - the window was twisted so much it was almost ready to pop!

The very next person to get a courtesy car brought it back with no gas, and stinking of dog. So guess what? No-one has got a courtesy car since.

curlcrown, Feb 8, 12:18am
Thankfully it is not up to you and the people in charge are a bit more sensible.