Would TH400 Full Manual Valve Body handle Circuit

mals69, Nov 2, 7:19am
Racing , Targa or would it be to much for such a set up ?

Powered by a 300hp at the wheels 350 chev.

Cheers

gmphil, Nov 2, 7:36am
th 400 are made to go behind bbc chevs and will easly be good up to 600 hp with a few mods

mals69, Nov 2, 8:16am
Ta, would it handle being raced like a manual
where you chop it down a gear or two before a corner ?

Take it the full manual vavle body turns the auto
into tiptronic mode ?

whqqsh, Nov 2, 8:35am
I had that setup in my T-Bucket running a bit more HP & bags of torque (420 ft/lb last dyno) reliable setup for many years doing many open road miles, drags whenever I could get there, grasskanas, lots of hard running. Never let me down.

gmphil, Nov 2, 8:47am
yes would be awesum with a full manual vavle body

mals69, Nov 2, 9:37pm
Cheers guys you have answered my query perfectly !
No doubt the T bucket was a wild ride with bugger all weight :)

sr2, Nov 3, 4:00am
Although the venerable TH400 is considered to be one of the "indestructable's&quo-
t; you'll be disappointed with the results.
Bottom line is that auto's with torque converters do not have a successful history of being used in circuit cars and would be very difficult to use in a Targa car.

unless you've discovered something no one else has thought of you'll eventually be converting to a manual.

whqqsh, Nov 3, 8:07am
yup, was great, 3500 stall made for a serious drag car (TCE guaranteed it up to 1000hp) made for a solid combo, beauty is that with no auto kick down in a light car you don't get unexpected or unwanted shifts downshifts mid corner when giving it a shoeful especially if its a bit wet

mals69, Nov 3, 10:43pm
Cheers - yeah think manual way togo what ever you doing, will
just wait till manual comes up now.Still been interesting hearing
about auto experiences.

mals69, Nov 3, 10:44pm
Nice action - yep a HOG would suit you.

bill-robinson, Nov 3, 11:58pm
i do not think you should tell jim hall of chapparal fame that. look him up
torque convertor and a 2 speed

fordcrzy, Nov 4, 1:37am
Youd need to put an oil cooler on it that could handle the heat. big difference between a 500hp streetcar that only sees bursts of power versus racing around a track for 20 laps

sr2, Nov 4, 5:34am
LOL, just imagine if he'd had access to a DSG box.
I'm obviously generalising but in 19 years of competing in every NZ Targa event I have never seen a competitor have any success with a conventional auto trans.

bill-robinson, Nov 4, 6:07am
well he won nurnburgring 1000kms with that combo in a 2F so it must work
big block chevy 600hp

sr2, Nov 4, 6:42am
I think his innovative, ground breaking use of ground effects and composites may have helped!
(If his "secret recipe" was an automatic transmission more people would have used them).

bill-robinson, Nov 4, 6:01pm
straying from the original question a bit sr2 .GM spent a lot of money on that trans and it freed the drivers left foot to operate the big wing

sr2, Nov 22, 12:06am
LOL; we do seem to stray off post on this MB! (Apologies to the OP).

I'm still very much of the opinion that a torque converter would be a serious disadvantage in either a track or Targa car.

The modern auto transmissions however are a completely different matter, our next race car build will probably have a DCT or similar (would love the chance to do the V8 M3!).