Need recommendation for station wagon, please :D

Page 1 / 2
onlylv, Oct 16, 6:01am
Got a 3K loan to get another car before my current one died on me. Had been looking at Toyota. (Carib, Ipsum, Spacio) Have test driven 2 Spacios and 1 ipsum. Got out of the car feeling giddy. Not sure why but I think it has to do with the brakes as it jerks when I stepped on it. It's probably more sensitive than my current car. (that is my conclusion). What other station wagons apart from this 3? Also what about Honda, Nissan or other make? Looking for less than 180,000 kms and max 2.0 cc . Thanks.

intrade, Oct 16, 6:05am
get a 2000 camry just make sure no oil leakage 5s-fe engine 2,2 however i think if they have not been complete neglected then it will last a long time with no much problems big station wagon and reliable if no munter owned it.

franc123, Oct 16, 6:17am
You were already looking at the best options for that price, if you liked the car you drove and its ok apart from the brakes tell them to fix it! It will almost certainly just be in need of a rotor machine or replacement. Don't buy old auto Hondas and Nissans in that price range, you will be staring down the barrel of trans and electrical problems sooner than you will be with Toyota as a general rule.

kazbanz, Oct 16, 6:20am
Carib,ipsum,corolla wagon.ipsum--any of those offer best chance. But do get a full PP inspection

franc123, Oct 16, 6:27am
Yes that too. Toyota Slob Syndrome can be a problem with those now, as intrade was suggesting.

onlylv, Oct 16, 8:51am
Is this high on fuel consumption? Since it is a GI and a 2.2?

onlylv, Oct 16, 8:54am
I test drive 2 spacio yesterday and 1 ipsum this evening. I got out of the car feeling a tad giddy. Could be the braking motion that causes it? On thinking back, perhaps it wasn't that smooth at all. Ipsum guy reckons I need to press down gently, which I did but it didn't come to a complete halt. I will have to test drive another ipsum or spacio and see how it goes aye! My RVR is rather smooth when I stepped on the brake, unless I have to brake suddenly.

mr_lovebug, Oct 16, 9:12am
Try dropping toyota and look at other makes, nissan is cheaper.

Balino's are good value too.

captaink, Oct 16, 10:09am
Seriously?

onlylv, Oct 16, 10:16am
Am looking at Nissan but not sure what model is good. Had been offered Liberty (2002), Avenir (2000) and Primera (1998). Not sure which is good. Also heard to avoid nissan because of cvt problems if not chain driven.

What is balino? or is it Baleno?

onlylv, Oct 16, 10:17am
with what?

kazbanz, Oct 16, 6:47pm
Avenir 1800xx will be normal transmission ,with the primera it MIGHT be CVT or might be a normal tranz. --almost all nissans you are interested in are chain drive engines.--the Toyotas are belt dribve--so need cambelts every 100k

onlylv, Oct 17, 9:22am
I asked a friend who is driving a Toyota Estima if i could go for a test drive. Turns out that it's the ABS brakes on Toyota that I am not used to.

franc123, Oct 17, 9:37am
What? ABS operation is only noticeable in a heavy braking situation where one or more wheels lock up and therefore lose traction, it doesn't operate at any other time. You hear a loud noise like a large electric motor running and will feel the brake pedal pulse quite severely.

2sheddies, Oct 17, 9:52am
I don't think there's any problem with brakes here. My guess is the OP driving less than smoothly due to the unfamiliar vehicle(s).

onlylv, Oct 17, 9:54am
oh. there is something about the brakes which I am not used to. When I stepped on it, the car jerks. I doubt I am braking it too hard when I was driving my rvr. I did try to be a bit gentle and that seemed ok. But still felt a bit giddy. sigh!

onlylv, Oct 17, 9:55am
2 spacio, 1 ipsum and 1 estima might have to try another brand.

franc123, Oct 17, 9:59am
Reread post 4.

onlylv, Oct 17, 10:07am
oh dear. mmmm. or might have to try another ipsum and see how it goes.

onlylv, Oct 17, 10:13am
What is the max kms I should be looking for if it's a Toyota Carib, Corolla, Caldina, Nadia and Camry? A lot of them are over 200 kms mark.

robotnik, Oct 17, 6:31pm
It is a diesel and an old Japanese one at that. Prepare for higher costs due to Road User Charges, and more servicing than a petrol. Also it will be pretty gutless. Be aware that being a diesel the odometer may well be fiddled.

onlylv, Oct 18, 12:17pm
ok thanks :)

onlylv, Oct 19, 4:52am
Station wagon parked across the main street. The dealer had parked several cars for over a week now.

1998 Honda Orthia, $2595 at 170,000 kms. Is this OK? Ta.

gunhand, Oct 19, 4:56am
onlylv wrote:
Station wagon parked across the main street. The dealer had parked several cars for over a week now.

1998 Honda Orthia, $2595 at 170,000 kms. Is this OK? Ta.[/quote

Yes, well proven car. Possibly all wheel drive though.

tamarillo, Oct 19, 4:57am
Yes.
But, I suggest, condition versus price is more important than model. You just need the best car, best service history, best driving, car for $3000. Any well known make is basically ok at this end of market.
For what it's worth at this money I've gone for 1990's BMW s. They're tough, well built, lots of wreckers for parts. 318 can blow head gasket so check that. 320 better.
A 316 is gutless but adequate and can be good buy.http://www.trademe.co.nz/m-
otors/used-cars/bmw/auction-96-
4826024.htm