Crosswind Tyres Quality?

dingo011, Jul 24, 7:45pm
I need four new tyres for our Mazda 3 and have seen Crosswind directional for sale and wondered if they are worth the risk? Most driving is the commute to work in Wellington so 50% motorway and 50% urban streets. Should I consider these further or run away?

kazbanz, Jul 24, 10:38pm
They are much MUCH better this time of year particularly than the bald tyres the car will have if you don't fit them.
I would probably spend the extra $120 all up and go up one tyre grade though

lookoutas, Jul 25, 7:22am
I met up with a guy who has the same car as me, and it had Crosswinds on it.

I questioned him about them, and at first he was embarrassed, saying he put them on coz they were cheap.
But I asked him if they let go in the wet, were noisy, rough riding, wearing out quick etc. - and all his answers were "no"
"So - what's wrong with them?"

"Nothing" was his reply.

In that case, I wouldn't hesitate using them.
He wasn't a dumb prick.

llortmt, Jul 25, 9:48am
I've sold heaps of Linglong Crosswind and Greenmax tyres and without exception every comment has been positive.
I put a set on a customers Alfa who's a real tyre snob, he's secretly delighted by them 'but they do say Linglong on them' is the ONLY negative he can find a year on.

lookoutas, Jul 25, 9:37pm
Grind it off then.

clark20, Jul 25, 9:49pm
New tyres always feel better, I have put my old 19"s back on my old car, and they are worn, and no way compare to the new ones (that I took off). If I had to judge the Bridgestones on that I would say they are horrible, and any new cheap tyre would feel better. You can justify it how you like, the top brands are top for a reason. If these cheap ones are so good why aren't they fitted standard on new cars? They want less expensive more than anyone. These are 4 patches of rubber holding my car on the road, I want quality for my safety.

lookoutas, Jul 25, 10:40pm
This is a bit like tg and jazz laying praise on their particular pet cars.
I hate pinpointing/pricking at brands, but I have bought many cars with Bridgestones on, and couldn't wait to get them off - only trouble is, they don't wear out! Which aims at the reason why I don't like them, but will live with them. Although, very courteously in the wet.

Now there is a brand that is quality to most people, but they don't tick one important box for me.

lookoutas, Jul 26, 3:11am
That was meant to be "cautious in the wet" but spellcheck must have got hold of it while I was probably spelling it wrong, and that's what came out.
Spoze it can still be the same.

sharchew, Jul 26, 3:37am
Windforce are good tyres

clark20, Jul 26, 4:23am
That's all good, you have your opinion and I have mine, and I respect that, there is no absolute answer about what we all want in a tyre.

llortmt, Jul 26, 10:42am
Very thin sidewalls, some are VERY difficult to fit due to the thin sidewalls and flat-stacking from China. They don't seem to wear that well but they are VERY cheap. For the few dollars more in most cases I'd take a Crosswind or Greenmax (from the same importer/wholesaler in NZ).

specialk11, Jul 26, 11:52am
I usually spend good money on tyres, but after doing some research I tried a pair of Linglong Greenmax tyres and IMO they represent great value for money and I would purchase again at the drop of a hat.

llortmt, Jul 26, 11:29pm
The other important thing to remember is that the Linglong Brands all have 2 year warranty unlike the majority of the other no-name grey imported Chinese tyres out there.

tamarillo, Jul 26, 11:42pm
This is like cheap helmet arguement. Will work fine as long as you don't have an accident and land on your head.
You don't get $200 quality for $100.
In Shanghai everyone I met, business people and sons, had imported cars with good name tyres etc. I asked why they didn't use Chinese products and was told several times 'because they're rubbish'. I just bought a haier dishwasher and Chinese friend says I'm mad, he would never buy one.
China can make very high quality stuff, lots of high end audiophile tube amps for instance. But they're not cheap.

lookoutas, Jul 27, 1:39am
And when you buy a so-called up market brand that you think is the bees knees - It might not pay to have a look at where it was made.

tamarillo, Jul 27, 5:09am
Like I said China can and does make good quality. Research, development, production, materials used, etc play huge role. A quality production unit can be anywhere though my shoei is Japan.

robotnik, Jul 27, 6:24am
Product bought in China can be extremely bad quality, however the stuff that is exported is usually better and the NZ importer makes sure they are OK and meet basic standards, as otherwise they'd get too many CGA returns and a bad rep.

Eg. I bought some business type shoes in Beijing that had holes in the soles in about a month, but have had a good couple of years of use out of similar Chinese made shoes from the Warehouse.

sw20, Jul 27, 6:38am
Gosh you are right! Germany and Japan.

sr2, Jul 27, 7:02am
LOL; even the famous German audio brand Bose has a factory in China!

fordcrzy, Jul 27, 9:46am
i WOULD NOT put cheap directionals on a mazda 3. they have enough road noise even with decent tires! see if theylll throw in some ear plugs with the deal

mainlander05, Dec 14, 9:37am
I really doing know why some people knock bridge stone as there are many different levels of Tyre to buy.we get some who want cheap and that's what you get.however if you want a sporty Tyre you pay more.have never had a complaint against a Tyre we recommend to suit customers brief as to what driving they do.
Come see me when you need tyres.