Beetle flat deck ute

richardmayes, Mar 10, 6:32pm
Saw this in someone's back yard while I was on the train this morning.
Beetle front half for the cab, with a Kombi rear windscreen and rear panels forming the back of the cab. Engine still at the back. Deck looked a good height and had decent useful area.
Only thing letting it down was duck shooter camo paint.

poppajn, Mar 10, 6:36pm
They are called a Volkswagen Transporter, you don't see many now

richardmayes, Mar 10, 6:38pm
Oh, right. I assumed someone had made it!

laspaz, Mar 10, 6:41pm
They are homemade if beetle front.

The Volkswagen type 2 single cab transporter is factory made and has a kombi front.

martin11, Mar 10, 6:42pm
It would be a custom made one the transporter looked like a Combi van in the front not a Beetle .

intrade, Mar 10, 8:22pm
well a beatle and a comby is a big differene? beatle where never made as ute. google immages its called a pickup when its a vw

tamarillo, Mar 10, 8:39pm
Used to be able to buy kits to do this, I recall seeing a few around nz. Probably still make kits in US. prefer beach buggy myself.

laspaz, Mar 10, 10:48pm
I'd give my left nut plus cash for a VW Single Cab Pickup project if anyone hears of any.

dublo, Mar 11, 3:35am
My early 1950s VW Kombi catalogue listed all the variations (I think only the van was available here) from Microbus with LOTS of windows, through the Kombi with foldable seats in the back and windows in doors and rear quarters, the basic side-door van and utilities, including what must be the original double-cab ute!
VW Beetles were available only as 2-door sedans or convertibles.
I guess it wouldn't be too hard to build a small utility using a Beetle floor pan and the front half of the cabin.
And I wasn't "in my cups" when I saw a Beetle with two front halves driving through Rotorua a year or two ago.

martin11, Mar 11, 3:54am
One in Armagh near New Regent St in Chch on Sunday owned by the Wizard and its legally road worthy .Two front 1/2s joined together .

mackboy, Mar 11, 4:21am
Would be a conversion from the 80s probably.
They are doing them in the states again as stepside kits.

mackboy, Mar 11, 4:52am
Would be a conversion from the 80s probably.
Pretty sure an outfit in Hamilton used to make them.
Saw one in a vw wreckers yard in whangas mid 80s
They are doing them in the states again as stepside kits.

franc123, May 5, 11:48am
A neighbour had one of those in the early-mid '80's, it was a 60's Beetle it was based on, who converted it and what ever became of it I don't know. Naturally the deck was pretty high off the ground because of the height of the engine and fan shroud assembly etc.